Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Huntington Beach's Headaches

I planned to get new tires for my car today. I had taken my medication for asthma. The dust bowl had settled into Huntington Beach deflecting the ocean breezes back to Japan. Of course it is more of the same.
  It is four o'clock and the temperature here has risen to 94 degrees with a heavy wind factor.It would be only in the eighties later tonight. I wiped my front and back windows of my car since they were covered with dirt and dust -- making vision difficult.
  The blond girl in front of me has sneezed every fifteen minutes. The lady next to me coughed up a storm. Just too many cars and not enough rapid transit. 
  It was going on eight o'clock but I could tell that middle east had come to Surf City. This minute, the gal next to me is coughing and sneezing, it is that windy. Few homes have AC's but even I am in trouble since mine has mold. Even the library's AC is turned off -- to save money. And what a shame for the senior citizens. Bad air means sickness and death. I am speaking about the Five Points Senior Apartments.
  Yet at one o'clock I got a reprieve. The I HOP had their Scrabble Tournament at one o'clock. I ordered a malt, and some coffee in order to wake up my sleepy mind. After one hour I was ready to play, but even the letters looked a bit weird to me. And that is what bad air does to the mind. The Starbucks, and fast food places harvest a large clientele. You can watch the heavy weights enter Trader Joe's. 
  You would think that the Huntington Beach library would offer a place to cool off-not so. It does not have double doors and windows can't remove the hot air outside, and to think that the city wishes the OK to build more Senior facilities off of Beach Blvd -- why the residue from rubber and carbon make it unhealthy. Why not build the apartments where the current Senior Center is located.
  Huntington Beach is one of the few cities that does not have a rapid bus to the train station. Instead it uses the 29 A bus to take passengers to the Metro-Link station. As the manager of Allen Tires told me, it can take over three hours to commute to Los Angeles. Or just possibly the city fathers wish to make everyone drive cars to butter up the automobile business.
  It is time for apartments to be built for all seasons. AC's spill out dust and grime but with a little effort, we can make our apartments livable. And remember what you clean off your car windows filter inside your lungs which involves the immune system. 

1 comment:

  1. Wouldn't it be great to have clean air every day -- like just after a rain.

    ReplyDelete