Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Huntington Beach Today

Those who wish to stay in San Diego for more than a month may wish to see other California popular beaches. I have written about Hermosa and Santa Monica Beaches but there is something about Surf City or Huntington Beach that is unique. 

Sorry but there is noway to get here except by camel, horse or stage, Now kidding aside, you may try your automobile, but first check you tires. The freeway from San Diego has many dips, cracks and bottle necks. It depends what time of the day you decided to drive here. 
   Particularly in Irvine, the roads become your tires worst nightmare with rocks, gridirons and and roads half finished The worst are in the Irvine area. Goodyear and Firestone tire stores are always booked in advance. Huntington Beach makes their money on cars, not trains like San Diego or Los Angeles. Amtrak does not stop at Buena Park but Metro-Link does. The stop is just above the Five freeway and there is a 29 A bus that picks you up and takes you for the long over one hour ride into Huntington beach. 
  But what I love and is unique only to Huntington Beach is Main Street and its long pier. My Sundays are not complete unless I ride the two miles and park my car on Main, just above the fat one dollar-and-fifty-cents an hour meters. I never, and I do mean never leave my car without rubbing tons of sunscreen over my head, ears and face. The busiest and fastest growing health care industry is dermatology. 
   No longer do I stop at Coffee Bean up Main since I wish to partake in the lovely breakfast at Whole Foods in the Bella Terra Shopping Center on Sundays. Why I  have never ever eaten leaner tastier bacon than at the Whole Foods Sunday brunch. It is the only day I break my weekly fast on pig food since I am Jewish and with a link to Levi,  the son of Jacob. 
  For those not as smart as I, Hashem or God changed Jacob's name to Israel. But let's not interrupt my Sunday breakfast, I load up on bacon and with two scoops of scrabbled eggs and potatoes, I gorge myself watching Sunday football on one of their flat  T.V.'s. But lets return to Main Street where Surf City began. 
  Under the pier and about thirty feet from the shore line is where I set my chair. Its about eight o'clock and usually a south-westerly breeze cools me off during the frequent summer heat waves. But it is a wave a different kind I watch today. They are ten footers today and oh my how these black dots love to skim and dance on the tip of them...Wait a second, a man with a camera is wishes to speak to me. 
   "Did you see that! Those kids were caught in an undertow and drifted out. Two lifeguards pulled them in. One kid needed some mouth to mouth." 
    "Well I have never seen the surf so high. The kids probably had a-few too many Buds before the plunged in...I dare say they probably never have ever swam before....Have a good day" 
The salty breeze kicked my mind into orbit. My World War 2 book highlighted the the major battles during World War Two. 
     Nature called so I walked to Jack Shack for to relieve myself. Two seven year old twins played volleyball with their Dad's, and they were good, quite good. Back to my beach chair, another man spoke to me. We peppered the volleyball and at eleven, I needed to return to my apartment for my nap. 
Not to leave World War 2 just yet, my second wonder of Surf City is their library off of Talbert. It is four levels and the uppermost reaches Mount Sinai. New York Times microfiche goes back to the 1861. But I am interested in the making of World War 2 and how Churchill and Roosevelt teamed up to collar the Nazi's in Operation Overlord. 
   Since I am at the library now, I wish to continue with my research on World War 2. See you next time. 
    

1 comment:

  1. I can sit under the Surf City Pier and stay all day. All I need is a tuna sandwich, chips and a drink. Santa Catalina appears later in the day.

    ReplyDelete