Wednesday, July 1, 2015

A Second Life in Huntington Beach

About one year ago, I lived in no-man's land. The 500 Broadway building was sold to a company located in Camp Pendleton. The San Diego City Counsel allowed the new company to buy the old Y.M.C. A and make it a five star hotel.
  My income was too high to qualify for HUD and too low to enter a new apartment. The San Diego City Counsel under Todd Gloria did not give a dam for us. I received no help but did get almost two thousand for the move. Some left and became homeless. A few have probably died.
  It took me awhile and many checking in and outs at the Motel Six. I became a fixture there and never knew when one of their cronies would up the rent. Last weekend, it rose to $130 for Friday or Saturday evening. But I had already settled on making Huntington Beach my new home - since it was closer to family and unlike San Diego's constant mist, I began to breath again.
  The good thing about the motel was the showers. I could take as many showers as I wanted. I wondered why the showers did not have any regulator since we are in a heat wave. And with better air, my mind woke up after a long sleep. I NOW could remember names that had left me. Unlike other cities, Alzheimer's is the third leading cause of death in San Diego. Without air, the mind can't function.
Huntington Beach unharnesses beach air that cools off those who live in the city.  The Monsoonal  season had come a month early so everything is sticky. I saw a doctor not far from Talbert Street. Ten days of taking bullets twice a day may remove the bacterial infection I have carried for over three weeks. It was large with concrete seats every few feet or so.
   My body does not work without a clean air filter. Hell, there is nothing wrong with my engine or lungs and if I keep my bronchial tubes clean, the air will filter down to my the rest of my body. Today I am walking. Talbert Street is home to two Kaiser facilities, the Elks Lodge and the library and dog park next to it.
   By the way, everyone should have at least one daughter. Her good credit got me into the Five Points Senior Apartments. It's a bit pricey, but it is cool during the day and has a nice air conditioner. I am closer to my  family now and it feels great! 
   My move in today and only two miles from the beach. I do hope my kids treat me to a breakfast at the Sugar Shack, a main cog on Main Street U.S.A. There is something about the ocean air that makes this outdoor patio make me feel like King for a Day.
   A week ago, I treated myself to one of there breakfasts and met Ryan, their manager. I complimented him on the breakfast just eaten. The tasty Pork Chops, eggs, hash browns, and sour-do bread and coffee seconds energized my sleepy body. Ryan complimented me on my blog and asked me how he could find it. Also,  Body Glove was sponsoring a surfing contest so I walked towards the pier and sat under it to hide from the brutal sun.
   Catalina Island could be touched on Sunday. My sick body still had time to pass my volleyball around to Lauren and her two kids who live north of the pier. She is the owner of Evergreen Reality on Main Street.
    "George, since you are from San Diego, can you suggest a  good and clean hotel next to the Convention Center. I am going to a Real Estate convention. The subject is how the stock market influences  home prices." 
     "May I ask how you got interested in Real Estate?" She looked at me with her eager eyes but her finger rejected me. The lovely beach ball was married but who cared. I needed company today and Lauren fit the bill today.
      "I received a P.H.D and masters degree up north. My husband was out of work so  we needed money to raise our three kids. I became a Real Estate Broker and set off for Huntington Beach. I have done quite well here and we even own a Big Bear Cabin."
      Lauren shared her sliced cantelope  and provided me with water. She wished her kids would read more and leave the smart phones at home. Her little feet hurt from the hot sand. I thanked her for the food and told her I would find a San Diego hotel for her.
      . .

1 comment:

  1. I will treat myself to a Sugar Shack breakfast once a week. Hell, I deserve it!

    ReplyDelete