Thursday, July 9, 2015

Verizon - What is Wrong witn America Today

"Yes, twenty seven dollars out the door and  from now on only $20 a month unlimited calls in the U.S.A." Not only am I rooted in Huntington Beach in a fancy apartment, but now a phone number will put branches on my new apartment.
   The young baby faced one did his best to get his commission. I named him Dip Stick since I can never trust my engine-oil-one.  It registers a different take each time I plunge it inside the oil tube. This is a true story. It mirrors what is wrong with out country today. Businesses are not transparent. Each is out to make a buck at your expense. The milking of the consumer happens every day to you or me.
    The true drama occurred to me one hour ago. So I won't jeopardize their jobs by revealing their names or location. But I will bring this up with their higher ups. This event happened one hour ago in a Orange County Service Station.  
   It takes Dip Stick too long to hash out the contract to me. He tells me my new phone number and that I have "fourteen days to return the equipment if not satisfied to receive my money back."
   "Can you demonstrate how to hook up these parts? "Dippy" demonstrates to my satisfaction where to place the batteries and plugs. I ask him to return my driver's license, and he informs me that he has.  I took out my wallet and pointed to where my license should have been. 
   He returns from his desk with my license. Another looks over with bewilderment. He hands me the contract and the only thing underlined in yellow was my monthly fee. Tired from a bad case of chronic bronchitis, I place the contract inside my back pocket.
   The next morning, I read the directions and assemble the equipment the way it states. A few blue lights flicker on an off. I now read the three page contract since I have fourteen days to return the gadget. Dip Stick is busy but Mr. Nicely shows another gadget like mine with a blue light. 
   Sure enough, back at my apartment a few blocks from their store a blue light is on -- after I remove some tape. Sure enough, a blue light appears. I look over the contract. The only item shaded in yellow is the monthly fee. The monthly fee of $20 was the only item shaded yellow. only item shaded yellowed  was the monthly fee. I also wished to make sure I had a fourteen day grace period if I decided to change to another service.
  I returned to the Verizon store and Dip Stick was servicing a charming couple. Mr. Nicely wasn't busy. I walked up to this big black teddy bear and asked a few probing questions. Mr. Tong and Mr. Wong looked on, above it all. One probably was the manager.
  "You will need to pay a connection fee of $40 non-refundable and due at the beginning of the month. Only the $20 figure was shaded yellow." Mr. Nicely shaded yellow the forty dollar activation fee when He thought I wasn't looking.  I also found out there was a re-packaging fee for replacing it, about $150 for any item lost and a few other hidden costs. Another fee was $200 if the product was returned early. Note that no contract stipulated these hidden costs. It was by word of mouth only.  
   "Why did you do that? Are you hiding the evidence. I want the service manager for the area's phone number. He wrote his name down and gave me it."
Now I wished to buy a phone but at Walmart the service rep was too busy. I bought some eatables and left. Through it all, it was nice to be back in my own back yard and watch a spider spin a web outside on my patio garden.

Nuts and Bolts for today: verify everything before your purchase it and take your time. Maybe return another day.  Your phone bill can take a big bite out of your budget. The real crooks are the CEO's of these franchises. Just look at college loans today. 
   What is wrong with America today is a lack of transparency. The quick fix is in for the quick buck or even the sure vote.  

2 comments:

  1. I learned again to take my time when buying anything, and look over the fine print, the stuff the sales clerk does not go over with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now to buy a phone. I will go to Fry's and Target and Walmart for a phone to fit my unique needs.

    ReplyDelete