Tuesday, July 7, 2015

The Surf City Fair

A Mist, a heavy one,  swept into Surf City this morning. A deep sleeps told me the chest cold had disappeared. It felt  great to breath without the help from my spay-gun. I felt almost normal again. me my cold had ebbed to another playing field. It feels great waking up all alone inside a lovely apartment. No longer do I need to clean out my locker by 12:00. Instead of opening my trunk for clothes, I can reach them from my  my walk-in closet.
   The Chinese combo from the Panda Express on Main Street  did the trick.  I needed to return to the Library. You wouldn't believe this, but it has microfilms from the New York Times as far back as 1875.
   I ran my wipers and bought a few eatables from the across-the-street's Trader Joe's. One denizen even held an umbrella while I finished my variety of dried raisins and salami. I grabbed a microfilm of December of 1936 and dove into the New York Times. I swept into 1936, December that is to embellish my football story.
   "Chiang had been thrown in prison for not declaring war on Japan and not siding with the Communists...Pope Pius had suffered a heart attack in Rome...Gas was 17 cents a gallon...Lou Gehrig was declared the most valuable player in the American Baseball league - he had been my idol. T.C.U and the great Sammy Baugh upset the undefeated Santa Clara team 9-0 in San Francisco. Baugh would go on to star for the Washington Redskins, a team that a few days later decided to move from Boston to our Capital."
  "A National League football draft was held at the Hotel Lincoln. Gil Kuhn, a Trojan and Francis Goddard a Washington Husky went to the Brooklyn Dodgers. James Braddock, the heavyweight champ had signed to Max Schmeling the following year. Max would fight the Brown Bomber, Joe Louis and defeat him in their first fight. fight the Black Bomber, Joe Louis after he dismantled Jimmy."
  "The ex King Edward the Sixth traveled to Austria with his mate Simpson. He found that love was more important than living up to expectations of kingship. His stuttering brother took the helm. His Mom grieved over this decision that shook the Windsor Palace."
  I have more to add to this but I must take a time out for my senior citizen nap. I will return in about two hours to finish this segment of the 1936's. I am still mad that I lost at bingo yesterday but happy that I feel so well today.
  Just maybe I will take another Panda Combo, think the spicy food did the trick. After my meal and some rest, I felt like a vacation -- and it was only two miles away! At two o'clock the Surf City wind Gods blew the mist to kingdom. com. 
  In fact it became so clear I could touch Catalina Island. But I was in for another type of a flare. Surf City had their surf-fair, with circus acts on every street off of Main. Why even a little petting zoo was set up. After a 3-5 p.m. half priced iced-mocha at Coffee Bean, I wobbled to the ocean. Well I couldn't quite touch the Island but saw clusters of surfers tackling the waves. (Every day from 3-5 it is happy hour at Surf Cities Coffee Bean.)
  I sit under the bleachers to remove myself from Mr. Sun. Mother Hubbard with ten kids sits on a large blanket, barking orders for her family. 
  "Who wants a half of a turkey sandwich?...I have berries also. just waiting. Her kids were lucky, there was a Mother who made sure her troop was well fed. Then it became my turn. 
  "Sir, would you like a half of a turkey sandwich?" At first I am  sure if she meant me, but since I felt lonely, I turn. Her larger than-life smile meant me! Now who could deny this lovely lady.
  "Don't mind if I do, and thanks a lot." Juan, can you give this gentlemen this sandwich? Juan, did you hear me?" The sandwich half tastes wonderful. She continues to jabber 
   "How about some water?..Do you need mustered?" I, again thanked her but answered in the negative. Her husband returned from a swim and stood over her. 
    "Juanita, you must move the blanket. The sun will kill you!" He repeated these warnings several times before she did move the blanket, just in back of me. 
     She had an allergy towards sun. It was five o'clock and I felt like returning to my disabled car. I had parked on Second Street. I drove down Main and made a right on Florida. My vacation cost two dollars, the price of a drink, but the lift it gave me was worth it. 
     Yet my day was not over. At nine o'clock unable to breath, I took off for the In-and-Out up the street on Main. The Number One Combo was just what the doctor ordered. I woke up at four and decided to drive to Carlsbad -- I needed a hair cut, remove stuff from a bin, and go dancing at the Nuts and Bolts Ballroom in Encinitas. 
   
    
   
   

  

1 comment:

  1. I love sitting in a room with books. The library is opened from nine to nine four days a week.

    ReplyDelete