Saturday, June 20, 2015

Santa Monica's Third Street Mall

Whereas Beverly Hills is somewhat snooty, Santa Monica is more like the cartoon character Snoopy. As many as one hundred countries are represented at the Third Street mall at any one time. and with a favorable westerly ocean breeze, I find it smart to sit and watch this parade walk on by. 
   After spending productive time in the Beverly Hills Library, the #704 Rapid bus drove me the rest of the way down Santa Monica Blvd and dropped us off on Fourth Street in Santa Monica. I needed to hydrate myself and took advantage of a little restaurant on Santa Monica and Third Street. I filled up my water bottle and decided that the meat balls bedded in rice was too  appealing to pass up. Besides, my daughter's breakfast consisted of eggs and a banana - not enough for a growing boy reaching 76 years in August. 
   The corner Mediterranean restaurant  served up a bowl of rice, meat balls, vegetables and plenty of spice. I drank from my water bottle and with the spicy food, felt good enough to do a belly dance. The cool restaurant offered windows to look at all the passers-by. 
   The tourists  held cameras in one hand and their kids in the other. A mob congested inside a apple store checking out watches. Somehow, these people wished to find out how a watch could perform the same functions of a computer. I did enter the food court and found a closed play area for the kiddies. 
   The apparatus had been given by Mattel, the maker of toys. And believe it or not, Mrs. Barbara Handler had been my Mom Edith's maiden of honor. They were the ones who made a Barbie doll in their garage moons ago that mushroomed into a sensational toy company, namely Mattel Toys. And my Mom only married a plumber - oh well the damage had been done. Now if it hadn't been for my Dad Harry's sexy legs, she never would have gone out with him a second time. 
  Of course there were plenty of side shows besides Gap and other stores. A violinist played as did two guitar players. I needed something to cool me off so I purchased a cold mocha and watched the traffic. 
  Now thoroughly relaxed I took the Blue 7 on Broadway all the way back to my daughter's apartment. She surprised me with a Father's Day Card - and even more the next day when she checked out several books from the library. 
  Well tomorrow is Father's Day, but for me,  I have already had it. You see, love is in the air in the House of George  
     

1 comment:

  1. It could have been any seaside today, the tourists were so mixed. Yet there is something about the clear ocean breeze that makes all pain go away.

    ReplyDelete