Thursday, July 9, 2015

Surf City - Talbert Street

Talbert Street is where I seem to end up each day. It is off Beach Blvd and a long block from Main Street, where I live. Just a second please. The 29A bus pulls up on the corner of "T" for Talbert at eight thirty.
   The 29A bus takes riders to the Metro-Link station in Buena Park. I am told it takes twenty five minutes. Like my number two daughter told me years ago, "Anyone over fifty is too old to drive"  -- and she is correct.
   Since the Del Mar racing season begins next week, I need to know the schedules. The Link takes one all the way to Oceanside and a bus ride or the Coaster deposits one at the Great Race Place to Solana Beach.
   I am at the Coffee Bean at the corner of T and B Street - "B" meaning Beach. Diagonally across from my street window are the In-'n-Out, the big W for hotdogs, WalmartYes Video, and the Shepard's Cemetery. In the corner of the gravesite, Old Glory is raised.
   The large Vietnamese population applauds their life in our country. Many flew away before the Vietcong could get their hands on them. They are indebted to us. It is great to drink coffee and wait for the raising of Old Glory. She has seen better days I am sure.
   I am reading a book about Lindbergh and his stay in San Diego.  Remember he lived in my hotel between February and May of 1927. The man haunts me today ever since I made my afternoon home at Lindbergh Field.
   It amazed me how thorough he studied for the greatest flight of mankind. Why he even drove to San Pedro to get aeronautical maps of the Atlantic Ocean. In my dreams I can still see him take off from Rockwell Field on North Island for the first leg of the trip to St. Louis.
   Just then, I saw a smiling face cross the street and head my way. Of course Burnt Toast needed grub money. My new haircut from Ron's Barber Shop may have captivated her eyes. The face opens the door and asks me the usual. I can't be distracted, I am in a honeymoon faze now. It is the end of my first week of having a roof over my head.
  The thin lady with legs that need alignment goes across the street. The large heavy set man removes a note from his billfold and hands it to her. He is well dressed and has done what I didn't do. He enters and orders a Mocha drink. So far, fifty have entered this corner coffee shop. Starbucks is no dummy. He know where to go to capture whales.
  A few minutes later, she sits at a table in front of me. She drenches a hot dog with mayo and mustard , and licks her forefinger. She washes it down with a Slurp Drink purchased at the 7/11 two stores over. She smiles and takes her frame around the corner Another gentleman awards her with the same prize.  The movement of her lips tells me she is congratulating herself
  I continue to read but now the time is close to nine. I need to get to the library and then go to the Rodgers Senior Center to get my grub for the day and dally on their grand piano. The Sun is out and it is a beautiful day.
  
  

1 comment:

  1. good sleep with a beach breeze makes for good writing.

    ReplyDelete