Tuesday, September 9, 2014

A Trip to Gelson's Market

My Mom Edith shopped at Ralph's, and on special ocassions Gelson's in Century City. The market is notorious for having the finest deli, bakery, produce and meats in West Los Angeles. It caters to the rich and famous. I am not a celebrity yet, but I wish my stomach to ready itself. 
    The Mexican Monsoons made its home in Los Angeles yesterday. With no wind to remove the dirt and pollen, I knew just where to go at night. Besides, my daughter needed time to be with her boy friend, so what the hell. 
     Yet I felt good to leave the heavy air of San Diego. I felt alive for the first time in awhile. I took Olympic Boulevard to Century City and turned off on Avenue of the Stars. My disabled plate found several available places-right next to Mom's market  Since my plate read disabled, I did my jerky sideways walk into the refrigerated store. 
     Now I was in my element. I felt like a movie star what with my saddle shoes and new plated teeth. Why even a few denizens asked for my autograph, but were unwilling to pay the ten dollar fee I charged. 
     I read a book about Texas for a few minutes and altered it with some of my short stories. I wished to give my daughter time in our one bedroom. Most of the shoppers looked over one hundred years old and were held up by their caregivers and walkers. I just knew that some of these relics wished to dine and die the same way others did before them-over fine wine and food. 
     Hell, their fancy wigs and falsies did not fool me one bit-no not one bit. Their caretakers pushed their shopping carts along. Most of them lived in a lavish homes overlooking a golf courses. In fact some acted as if golf balls had hit them in the noggin. 
     The Deli counter smacked of a traffic jam. Everyone ran to get the next ticket to be served next. All types of vegetables and meats were available. One gal who must have weighed five hundred pounds came inside and sampled one spoonful after another. Her bright red hair was covered by dread locks and as she sambaed from one station to the next. 
     Another young couple, obviously in love ambled in. They covered their wagon with all types of treasures, She wore black pants, shirt and ten inch heals to boot. They looked love-locked for life. 
I decided to go to the salad bar to see if something there interested me. Some fool shouted "Hi handsom! She screamed this aloud twice. Did she mean me? asked myself.  
    I turned around not knowing that Halloween had arrive earlier than October.  It was my sister Dina and her cute daughter Cleo. Cleo had never looked so charming. I gave her a kiss and kissed both good-by. 
    I hurried back to my safe perch in front of the deli counter. I needed a fix after the too-soon trick or treat. I bought a large half barbecued chicken for five ninety five. The clerk validated my parking ticket. It was good for three hours of trick or treat fun. 
    That night, I had the best sleep in years. My disconnect with the past worked to perfection. 
     
     

   
   

No comments:

Post a Comment