Wednesday, September 10, 2014

A Day in West Los Angeles

This is my second week back in West Los Angeles. Again it is great to sleep in my own bedroom. A westerly ocean breeze enters two louver windows early in the evening. Unlike San Diego, the temperatures come down and there is little humidity late at night. 
    It is another scorcher in Los Angeles. Thank God we live in West L.A. and not the downtown area. Lindsay sits on the outside balcony eating her Thomas Raisin and Cinnamon muffins. Oscar, her Yorkshire Terrier's front paws beg for another beef jerky. The Nova Salmon strips are my breakfast along with a couple of plum prunes. My daughter comes inside. It is still cool, but soon the temperatures will rise.  
    "Is there anything I can get for you at Ralph's?" 
    "Yes Dad. I am out of Thomas muffins. Can you get some for me at Ralph's?" 
     "No problem. How did the depositories work, and can you get me some water?" 
    Like many women, my daughter Sarah suffers from T.M.J. or Bruxism Disease. When a young teenager, a doctor gave her Paxil for her headaches. At the time, she had severe headaches and her doctor had no idea that teeth grinding would be the outcome of this now dangerous drug. 
     Today L.A. was supposed to reach 90 degrees and reach 100 this weekend. I walk down Pico and walk across Beverly Glen with the light. I buy a L.A. Times and the muffins she wants. I buy a small coffee at the inside Starbucks from Tysha and take my seat at a counter next to the window. 
      The front pages show dark heavy smog in China. No wonder why so many are coming here and have their own newspapers downstairs. A graph shows the smog levels fifty times higher than the ones on our South West  Coast.
     Ralph's had great air conditioning. I leave and return to the Pico apartments. One of the muffins I toast and place jam on it. Before leaving, I ask about something she told me yesterday. 
     "Dear, I didn't quite understand you yesterday. What did you mean about razors and grass?" 
      "Many gardeners cut grass late at night from front yards. They use razors to cut chunks of healthy grass and then sell it to unsuspecting homeowners. But a bigger business is stealing copper pipe. Anything that can produce quick money like car parts are a way to make quick money."
     We speak about upgrading our air-conditioner and doing our laundry later in the early evening. It is already hot, but at least I will spend my time in the Beverly Hills Library. The gang from Baldwin Hills will be coming later in the day. 

     

No comments:

Post a Comment