Friday, September 26, 2014

A Jewish New Year's Story/ Bucket of Ice

The Jewish New Year is being celebrated today. I am told that Judaism is more than 5000 years old. My more than 100 short stories deal with Hashem or God. In honor of this Holy-Day, I have reproduced this story. of course they are not mine, but God sends them to my fingers and somehow they seem to turn out OK. 

 I have now lived at the San Diego downtown 'Y' for about one year. Every  morning, I take my green plastic water bucket to the ice machine. I keep a little water in the bottom before I fill it up with ice. The ice melt away in two hours, and it is then I gulp down two glasses of cold ice water.
     The water bucket story germinated in my mind about four months ago, after a visiting chemistry professor from Alabama University visited my hotel  I had been suffering from asthma and high blood pressure all of my life. In a matter of time, I would be in heaven, that is God be willing. 
     One late afternoon, I asked the little lean professor the secret to longevity. We sat on the steps of the 500 Building in the so-called American Plaza section of San Diego. I called it Bankers' Corner since three banks peer down at us from their perches over 20 stories tall. 
     "Well George, I am here for a convention and as you can tell was born in India. Can't you tell?" His amicable smile calmed me. 
      "May I ask your age sir.?" He appeared younger than his years although wrinkles covered his face. 
       "I am seventy five years old. You might think I am a lot younger, but there are three secrets to my youthful look. I eat vegetables, fruit and nuts. I also drink two quarts of water every day. It takes a little practice but in time you will learn. We are like car engines. When we keep them clean and use quality fuel, our engines run better and softer."
       The Indian stood up to leave and I stopped him. "What about the third secret?"
     "Sorry George, I got to go for my five mile walk. Yes, you guessed it, that is my third secret."

About two months later, I made up my usual walk to the one of the eight Unisex bathrooms down the hall of the 'Y'. After my usual shower and shave I took one good look at myself. I don't look a day over thirty nine. Then I went to the ice machine and left a little water before filling it with ice. But why did I leave a little water inside the bucket? Oh! It makes he ice melt away faster. The idea came to me like a bolt of lightening. 
    A few weeks ago, the rabbi spoke about removing resentments a few months before the Day of Atonement. His sermon was presented at the Hyatt Manchester Hotel in San Diego. I will paraphrase it. 
    "Wouldn't it be great if each of us had a little water in our veins of resentments? We could remove past our disappointments and fill our lives with joy. Get It! Just a little water would remove our ice cubes of resentments. 
     
       

No comments:

Post a Comment