Thursday, April 19, 2018

Schindler to be 101 on 21st.

An Oat meal breakfast every morning suits me fine. It is seven thirty and all is well. Took a while to remove from my diet. Why as long as I could remember, Farmer John's bacon had greeted me for breakfast each morning.  Since buying fresh white fish at a neighborhood market, my memory seems sharper. Heard from the grapevine that the freshest fish are sold at the  ABC market on Magnolia.  
    'Lil' Amby Schindler turns 101 years old Saturday. While I spoon feed my mouth, I reexamine pages from one of  fifteen yellow journals. I wish to become Schindler, but not on the football field. I wish my Schindler stories to hit every school and library now that can write. It could also be made into a play or musical. The phone rings, probably my Access drive to take me to the Surf City Senior Center.   
      I have pressed my pants, washed two dirty dishes and closed the trash bag. The phone rings again. 
    "I'll be right down..." I hear no response at first...and then.
    "This is Ruby from the Sea Cliff Health Care Center."
     Ruby is the nurse at Station Four, the hospice area. I call it the end of the line
     "Ah Ah" I can't respond at first since I am beat from my trip to West Los Angeles."
     "Need to tell you that Mel had his teeth taken out yesterday." 
     "Good news. Thanks for calling and have a good day." 
     "Ah one more thing, the tests came back positive. Mel is now in isolation."
     "How long?" My mind goes blank for a few seconds. I feel crushed! 
     "About seven days." 
      "Got food for him, beets and corn. Can I see him?"
      Ruby's voice sounds too controlled as if  she had been told what to say.
       "Highly contagious. If you have open sores you should not." 
        A Dr. Rayhan told me that they had removed the cancer from his head...more bull shit.  I told Ruby that I wanted his doctor changed from Joseph Nassir to another doctor. He had been the primary doctor here at Sea Cliff and also billed Mel at the Spartan Pacific Assistance Living Center in Westminster. 
        He is the same doctor that had never seen Mel, according to my brother but had billed him. Depressed with mixed feelings I knew that I could not visit him now since I don't wish my grandchildren to get sick. go into his room since I have open sores due to skin cancer treatments.
 A few minutes later, the phone rang again. This time is was my Access taxi. After I recovered from the shock of the news that Mel has brain cancer, a trip to the senior center was what I needed to jump start my day. I paid the drive four dollars and told him to keep the change. 
       Now inside the Center, a class of at least thirty Uke players were playing like a symphony orchestra.  Inside the piano area, about fifty seniors are singing songs accompanied by a great conductor and piano player. It reminded me of Mitch Miller in the old days. 
      Jane said hello and wished me to meet her family. Sat down with my good friends, a good food and laughter, as always, brightened my day. As Annie said, the "Sun will come out..."
     Later that day, I brought beets and corn for brother Mel and took three buses back to my apartment. I don't mind waiting for a bus since I have a book or just look at the some girls practicing volleyball on the beach. 







No comments:

Post a Comment