Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Pasach in Huntington Beach

Access drove me to CVS, across the street from Chabad. After treating my self to three pancakes at McDonald's, I crossed Warner Avenue and tried to enter the synagogue. With the door locked. I sat down in the back and began to read the Register, a local crap sheet of current events. Startled by a loud noise, I looked up and saw small bearded gentleman covered in black. It was my Rabbi. I was now nine thirty.
   "Gary, no bible study today. This is the day of Pesach."
    Well now, I left the sport's pages and lumbered into the sanctuary. A few were already reading from the Sidder, or bible. I removed a Tallis and placed it over my shoulder. It felt good to be back in he saddle of religion, and now I have learned to remain on the horse. A smallish man who wore a East European cap addressed me.
     "George, we missed you...Ah are you OK?"
      "Yea, a few issues have been resolved...Thanks for asking."
     The synagogue began to fill up. Even my brother Mel's primary doctor arrived and kept looking my way, but led my horse on one road today without any detours. At about eleven thirty Rabbi Yiska Berkowitz turned to his followers and spoke. I will try to paraphrase his sermon.
      "Over three thousand years ago, Moses left Egypt and led his people across a mean desert to land of Israel. Not an easy task as he needed to cross the Jordan river and mounds and mounds of desert with snakes, and spiders at every turn.
      Our forefathers, including your parents, grandparents had a tough time keeping our tradition and tales alive until today. Those who had died at Auschwitz, remained Jews until the end, just for you. A very few escaped and worked hard so that you could enjoy the fruits of freedom...."
       A lady interrupted the speech, She screamed loud and clear that "You forgot to mention...the name of." She ran to the other room and the rabbi continued.
       'We now need the priests to come up to the Bimba.  Two men walked up and covered their figure wit a tallis. Those who still had parents left and the rest of us stood and recited prayers for the dead, but not quite dead, as my Dad Harry and My Mom came down to praise my devotion to the religion of their parents.
       My Grandparents on my Dad's side were Jacob and Rachel. on my Mom's side stood Isador and Jenny. Enriched by the knowledge they came down from heaven to be with me, I felt great. Just as I was about to leave and catch the number 76 bus, Max, from Budapest turned around and quipped,  . "Got to tell you that I still can't speak about the holocaust...Just hurts too much.
        Outside I left with my friend Sir Godfried. He is an angel I had met while living in San Diego. :Like always, we both had a great time while navigating the buses to my apartment. (Not edited.)

.


    
    

No comments:

Post a Comment