Tuesday, April 10, 2018

A Chappaquiddick Day in Surf City

Hi Barbara, what's going on?...What is that in your hand?
Just bought from Barnes and Noble..Was lost at Southwest
Mean college on Vermont in Los Angeles"
Yes, lost yesterday and my roommate June needed to come and get me.
    She wore a smile over her round face. At 86 years old, she has held on, well barley fine figure. She had been a Yankee fan all of her life and was born in the Bronx. Dad was a conductor for a railroad there until a heart attack downed him at the young age of fifty two. Her visits to the Surf City Senior Center had been sporadic. We sat in the piano room of the Senior Center in Huntington Beach.
     Show me where L.A. is on this map?
     Here it is Barbara. Just a kiss from Huntington Beach.
     Are they that close?
      Not really, like about fifty miles.
      A policeman helped me. I didn't no where I was. He looked at his computer and found my name under missing persons. He called my roommate who drove down from the Harbor. She screamed at me for getting lost and took me home. A flatbed truck came later bringing my car.
      I pointed to the map but it did not do the geography well. The cities of Surf and L.A. were too close.
      Hey Barbara. It is only one o'clock. What ya say we take in a movie?
      Good idea. Hear that Chappaquiddick just released.
      Bet playing at Bella Terra, the Century Theaters. Hey My treat but your gas and we share popcorn.
      With a little help, well actually a lot, she coerced her new Lexus down Golden State to Edinger to the outdoor famous shopping center. I got out and helped her park, not far from the Century Theaters. After a little wait for the line to move, it became our turn.
       Two for Chappaquiddick...Senior price.
      "Be fifteen please...So you have anything smaller...No problem.
       The cashier turned a seating computer towards me. Barbara stood in back of me.
       You pick the seats. My first date with Barbara so I need a quiet romantic area.

Those in back of us began to laugh, at first softly and then like a symphonic orchestra. Inside she bought two bags of popcorn and we chatted until the 2:15 show began. I lost my ticket so twice we were kicked out of our seats. The movie was great but it appears and placed me into a great mood.
    Afterwards, I left her and took my two buses to get back to Magnolia, but first buying fish and four pounds of juicy large oranges for ninety nine cents.
                                 It was a Chappaquiddick Day       
           
     

     
     
   
   
   

No comments:

Post a Comment