Tuesday, April 3, 2018

April Fools Day-And How!

I took a hike on Garfield Blvd to Mel's Nursing home. A few fruit trees smiled and spoke. The Loquat said, "Take me". Limbs of trees hung over cement wall as I trucked towards the Sea Cliff Health Center. A bountiful fig looked inviting but it said, "Not yet, come back in July." I crossed Beach and made a right turn on Florida Street. Something was up. An older couple helped their two wheel chair parents into their car. 
    "Happy Father's Day." 
     He smiled as if he knew that on April fools day, anything goes. Even on the news, I heard that a one hundred year custom had gone by the wayside. The pubs in Ireland now opened on Good Friday. t And why not, with the current administration, they may not be around for another year. 
     Before I ambled to Mel's room, 135 B, I dropped off a large beet and two corns to supplant his Easter eggs. A weak earlier, I had dropped off two New York Steads bought on special at Vons market on Magnolia and Atlantic. He still suffered with severe pain after the two operations on his cancerous right ear. At least Dr. David Rayhan said the surgery got the last of the cancerous blog out of his ear. 
    Mel had lived with this infection for over two years. After Mel had been discharged from the Huntington Memorial Hospital, a Dr. Gray warned me that Otitis Media could cause lumps, pains and further problems if not immediately treated  I had supplemented his meager diet each evening and no doubt the food and visits kept him alive although with the heavy Narcotics, a few times he told me that "He was through." 
  Bed one was empty, but in bed two my brother Mel was ready to rock. I couldn't believe my eyes and ears when he hollered, "George, take me for a walk!" 'Tired, Mel, wait a minute....Here is your walker."Mel followed with a healthy gallop. We left station four and headed for the lobby.
   'Use your right hand to hold up the eye lid...see me now?"
   "Yes, my legs are getting stronger now...thanks for the New York steads, exactly what I needed to remove the rust from my body." 
   "Can I get you a coke?"
    "Yes....And by the way, a dentist came and told me they were going to pull my teeth.  
The fog lifted from my head and a calm came over me. It looked like he just might, yes, might get out of this warehouse some day. Just maybe his expiration date had been crossed out. 
    "Can go now George...thanks and don't need you..." 
On the bus stop sat a homeless young man. Beer cans sat by his side as he offered me some suds. Told the too-thin one that I drank only tea. He left and the Blue Bus arrived. At the Waterfront Hilton  had a smoothie to celebrate the day. 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment