Friday, April 21, 2017

Surf City's Sugar Shack

"Why they have more texture, fluffier, and have more bounce. Yes the Sugar Shack pan-caked the IHOP...Can you take my picture...thanks?
   I almost went to the IHOP but it was a beautiful Santa Ana wind day. Not a cloud in the sky so I shielded my eyes with my large hat. I wished to test a different flat cake today so I sat at a table and studied the menu. Of course I am on Main Street's Surf City
   "No but thanks. I brought my own coffee. Think I'll have the large stack. Thanks"
   Smile took my order and left me to my book, Johnson's England. Yet the sun would not allow me to read. Was I inside View City ? Across the street the Coffee Bean had nary a customer. It was going on seven and the library would open at nine. Love was in the air.
    The tables began to fill up, but not me, I sat on Main with flowers in front of me and the pier to my right. I thought about the Vietnamese fisherman I met on the bus and what he told me in his broken English.
    "Go Pier today. Bonito are biting, about this big." The thin man's hands separated by two feet. "Use a lure for these fish and my wife grills what I take home. Live a simple life. Always fish. Ya know that the apartments over their, a single goes for $4,000."
      "Tell me about it," I retorted to the little smile across from me. They are yanking up the derricks to be replaced by apartments. Land is gold today."
   A plate covered with three large pancakes greeted me. I knew that by their fluffiness and texture they would taste great. And they sure did! There was a bounce to them as I sipped more of my Seattle coffee to digest these adorable cakes. I could only finish half of them. The waitress placed the bill of fare on the table.
   "Could you take my picture?"
    "My pleasure...close your mouth please a little...thanks." (Too many missing teeth.)
    The cakes cost a bit over four dollars and with a three dollar tip. I sauntered across the street to read my book and sip the scene in front of me.



   
     

No comments:

Post a Comment