Thursday, April 27, 2017

A La La--Land Sunday

After a visit to Dr. Fingers for a prostate exam at Kaiser's Anaheim, I took his advice and linked up Passover and removing bread and fats in my diet. I can still hear his words after I had taken the La Palma Disneyland bus to the Kaiser hospital. And ever since last Thursday, it has done wonders for my mind and body. But yesterday I had a diet of aggravation that I handled well.

   In March, room 135B got a letter from Social Security. I read that they were sending him $2739  to the Sea Cliff for him. . A copy of that letter I gave to the receptionist to hand over to their finance department. I was never sure of how Medical works in conjunction with his SSA check, but forgot about it.
    Inside another letter was a Trust Statement. Now I had no idea what a trust statement meant or if Melvyn consented to the trust. Also I had wished to know why Mel received $914 each month rather than the added SSI amount of over $1,100. The finance department added the two to get $3,653 but subtracted $1,758 what he owed. And what bugged me was that they still insist of spelling his name with an "i" rather than a "y'.
    Mel, the other day, took action for the first time in his life. He went to their office and wished to know if he could withdraw the $1,758. Mel told me that a highly nervous lady told him to return and sign a paper and she could release the above amount.
     Yesterday I called that office. Miss Quigley told me that "she was busy but could give me five minutes. Since I live a block down the street I removed my pocket watch. I wished some answers as to where the money went since I don't trust one who can't spell Melvyn. (Named after Melvyn Douglas an actor.)
       Miss Quigley in a hurry at her desks while Mud Cakes looked on. The office is the last one on the third floor. I removed my pocket watch and set it on her busy desk
       "Quick Mr. Garrett. Mel wished you to have the money so have him sign this paper. I will make check out to you."
        "Well Miss, my brother wishes to buy a car with money. He is here because he never learned to walk. Also, I wish to know more about how Medical and his SSA works?
         "Have Mel come here and sign paper. He wishes you to have the money."
          "But Miss Quigley, I still  don't know how much goes to "his needs"."
          "He gets thirty dollars a month."
          "You can keep it if you learn to spell his name."
This scene repeated itself for one more minute when my five minute elapsed. I got what I expected from the Wax Museums office: Nothing.
 It was only nine forty and the rest of my day was ahead of me. I needed a break and disdain the use of cars, made easier by the lack of funds inside my wallet. The 29 bus took me to Bella Center's Whole Foods where I placed three dollars of warm curried vegies on my paper plate.
   I placed my wall board poster of Schindler next to me and read a history book about Greek history. I felt exuberant that I said "No" to the $1,800 check I sorely need. A good book and great food made me merry again.
   I had my picture taken in the sport's department of Barns and Noble with my poster beside me. Another hour at Starbucks, adjacent to the book store gave me more punch for the day. I sat on a couch next to the Century Theaters and watched life ebb and flow. The 29 returned me back to my apartment and solitude -- but not quite since He walks with me.
 Oh yes, I hope to go to the Hermosa Pier since the city will celebrate La La-Land this Sunday with dance, music and lights. I can take the Long Beach bus that will drop me off on Pier Avenue. It is an event not to miss.
   I saw the movie five times at the above cinema and it kept me alive during the toughest time in my life. The music, singing and dance has provided a jump in my step and I play many of these sounds and Mr. Horowitz, the composer  ranks up there with the best. I sing these songs every day.
   Since I lived in Hermosa Beach with my two daughters for a few years, it is a more special occasion. Beside the Strand at Hermosa Beach, Played the piano at Scotty's for tips and food. It is where I interviewed the Golden Boy from San Diego, Ambrose Parks Schindler.
    Also at the top of the closed street, I had my date with my first love, Gloria. I will never forget my first date with this Montreal lass. Yes, oh yes, it was a La La--Land day for me. She was small as I was tall. From the iconic clock I stood up and with trepidation, went towards this little dame dressed in white with white shoes
    It took some convincing for her to remove her shoes as we sanded our way to the rocks that separate Redondo Beach and Hermosa. But I did not fall in love with her until we ate at Hennessey's restaurant on the corner. She made me laugh!  It was her first date in 42 years and when I mentioned an encore at the Alpine Village she stood up and said "Yes!"
   Even though she screamed at me at times she was, and will always be the love of my La La--Land life.  
   I

      
      
    
   
  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment