Thursday, April 20, 2017

An I HOP Easter Parade

I sat on a brick flower display beside the I HOP. Irving Berlin's melody danced in my head while I sat on  inside my head. across Main Street  were Starbucks, Legends and on the same side sat the U.S. Post Office. Downtown Huntington Beach never looked so colorful on this Sunday's Easter Parade.
  A slight westerly wind made the air fresh and clean. On Main, everyone shuffled towards the strand and the pier. But not I. No, the greatest show on earth smiled in front of me and  showed off their skimpy and colorful bathing suits on a beautiful Easter Sunday.  .
  I yearned to be young again to hold the hands of a loved one, who wore not a bonnet, but  a two piece bathing suit, rather skimpy but why not. These pairs could not be lovelier than on this Sunday Easter Parade. The men wore tattoos, mainly on their arms and shaved legs. The couples looked just lovely. Sunday was the most colorful day of the year.
    In back of me I heard a distinguished grey hair belt out his I HOP order. The heavy set man had ear plugs as he conducted business while eating. Next to him was a wheel chair bound lady and a friend. They sat in the patio area  along with  six other round tables, A waitress asked them for their order.
    "I'll have the ham, eggs with pancakes. But do my a favor. My  last time here,  the plate for the pancakes was too small and some spilled onto the table. Also, I don't need the ham to be cut in two. I could not finish the ham last time."
   Of course I I thought of Amby Schindler whose 100th is on this Friday. He, too, requested a larger plate for the salad. at Scottys in Hermosa Beach.   Every plate and utensil needed to be spot clean-or else! His friend began to point out car show in front of us.
   "There is 55 Chevrolet...a 53 light blue Cadillac, a Corvette..." The Corvette let off steam that made everyone turn as some low riders made a duet with the car's noise. Skate boards, and bikes helped to make this a memorable scene.

My legs told me it was time to move on. The table nodded and said "good by" as I sallied towards the bleachers and sand. The concrete bleachers had filled up as a few acrobatic kids were doing somersaults or spins on he ground.
   I headed for Dwight's, down the stand. and dodged a few skater blades and bikes. Bike-it your-selves carriages cranked up and down the strand. Dwight's was just south of the life guard headquarters. The burgers cafe had several bike carriages in front of their dwelling. I took the load off of my feet and found one of the patio tables to view the colors of the day.
   A man and his little child surveyed the carriages. The kid jumped on. He looked at the prices and after a few moments of study purchased a $25 an hour one. On the Strand, dogs, wheel chairs, yes even wheel chairs smiled today. Grandma's tagged along happy to still be alive. Soon all of the carriages had been rented, as well as the bikes.
  Time stood still. It was prime time today. At three, I decided to put my shoes on and wade towards the 29 P.C.H. bus to take me back to Main's beginning  on Beach. at Beach and Main, I tired wheels took me to Jack-N-Box.
   "Can I have the two tacos for a dollar and change please?"
    "Would you like sauce?"
  These dollar tacos tasted like a steak on a prime rib Easter Day.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment