Thursday, April 6, 2017

Another Day in La La Land Surf City

"George, what time is it...I am hungry!"
"You know they serve at seven...she'll be here with your spaghetti soon. Billie  told me they would heat some up for you." (Billie is the dietician at the Sea Cliff Health Center.)
 At exactly seven his food arrives. Like he wanted, there is spaghetti and meatballs, a small carton of milk, iced tea, a carton of ice cream and a small green salad. Mel drips the dressing over it and dives in while I unfasten the milk carton without any liquid spilling.
 "You know when I'll be leave the room?"
 "No! Apparently Shingles is very contagious...Any doctors see you today?"
 "Yes a blond lady entered and told me my glasses would be ready within a month."
   George has helped with him at dinner time...now going on six months. The love for each other has made others dumbfounded. His two daughters no longer call since now he is the appendix of their lives. And that is the way it is today. The family no longer exists.
   An outgrowth of a learning disability, Mel has lived for food and sports only. If only the L.A. Unified School System had taught him to read, he would have led a normal life. but back in the day, students were shuttled from grade to grade with diffidence to their successes.
   "The spaghetti is cold...and I want more!"
   "The Kitchen is closed, but don't forget you ice cream. Let me open it for you."
    "What did you do today?"
   "Had a great day. Went to library to write and read the Times. This time poison gas killed many infants inside of Syria. Dodgers lost to San Diego and Governor Brown wishes to put a heavier tax on gas to feed the streets and overpasses."
    "The highlight of my day was again sitting at the City Patio Shopping Center. What a beautiful day. Afterwards, I had a scrumptious In-N-Out double-double and heavy on the pickles and onions. I relish watching the flats and flip flops devour their hamburgers and fries. Like Mel, they live for food.
   After I left Mel, I wished to end the day on a high note I ducked a few wheel chairs and dogs on Florida and indulged in a croissant at the Java restaurant at the Five Points Shopping Center. The Vietnamese owners work around the clock to make money and I will plug their store when possible
   It felt great to have money to buy pastries and other things I have omitted from my meager retirement check. Yet Schindler book cover will sell thousands of copies and then I will afford to move to San Clemente. There is something about Nixon Ville that makes me think I am on vacation. I always go to the Nixon's favorite hamburger stand when I am there.
   I listen to 1070 A.M. before I fall asleep on my broken down couch. My does it feel great to have a roof over my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment