Friday, April 21, 2017

Schindler is One Hundred Today

Who says that a football player can't make one hundred these days? Why yes, you are correct. It must be Golden Boy out of San Diego, born at the Mercy Hospital in 1917. Yet members of his team did make it into their nineties like Joe Shell, Sal Mena, Carl Benson, Harry Smith and others. 
   On the hills of Torrance this morning, Mr. Schindler is probably eating his oat meal cereal, with toast, and decaf coffee with a lump of sugar and teaspoon of honey. A caretaker is helping him to the den where he can watch his cats chase birds in the back yard. 
   He told me that he was the greatest Trojan football player. I doubted him until endless hours of microfilms proved him correct. A writer wrote that Schindler was the total offense in a game against the Oregon Ducks while  he scored four touchdowns.
    Yet  an  archives director of El Camino Jr. College confided to me seven years ago, "Amby would rather catch a good wave to shore than score a touchdown." Schindler lived more on water than land, and if he could not catch a good wave, he brought up a lobster, or clam for his dinner at night. He loved the water and surfed the waves of the San Onofre and other beaches. His long board could be found on a plane going to Hawaii.  
  He played jokes on me and had a joke for everyone as laughter was our third party to our meals We were the first to be served and the last to leave. Once I choked on my food when listening to his stories about the his time as a San Diego Highlander or a member of the Trojan family. 
  Not quite as good as him on the gridiron or water, I doubt that he could play the piano or entertain like me. I have films of Schindler on the football field and also a slide show presentation, and of course the manuscript of the Schindler story.  
   You can reach me at (714)  818 9965 if you wish a presentation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment