Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Notes from Amby Schindler Story

As it is just a few days for the Super Bowl, It is only fitting to write more about a soon-to-be-published book about Amby Schindler. His 100 birthday is on April 21. 

      

    "During the 1937 Oregon game at the Coliseum, I was back peddling when my bottom cleat stuck-and I was hit from behind. Even though injured, Jones threw me back in the game and this time I had to be carried off the field...My best track event was the high hurdles...Received scholarships to Berkeley, Stanford, and Notre Dame...At El Camino College, I taught swimming, golf, racket ball, scuba diving, and platform diving,"
     My life had been quite boring -- that is until I met my Dad's idol. My passion to become a great writer grew into one what wished to develop into a celebrated one. These interviews with Schindler over a two year period, put some mustard into my life. I looked forward to eating out with him and we developed a close relationship on the way. Along the way I fell in love with life.
     "My Mom made the best apple pie in the world and she canned fruit from our fig and apricot tree in the back yard...My cousin Rod called his Ford "the whoppy' and did he make it big with the girls. At Balboa Park, my Dad worked on pouring concrete for the many buildings. Eventually he made it up to supervisor at the Park."
      "My Dad told me he found each day in San Diego the same, beautiful. He fell in love with the weather. In about 1914 he opened up a bicycle shop on India Street. He also sold Studebakers and drove tourists to Arizona on a Pope Hartford touring car. He also had the first portable gas tank at the Golden State Garage."
       Besides the football gridiron, the "Golden Boy" was quite good as a dancer. The weekend of his first game where 43, 000 were expected at the Coliseum for the Trojans first game of the season.  A dance was held on the eve of the game at the Deauville Cub in Santa Monica. Those with tickets could dance with the regulars and enjoy the coming out party of the new sophomores. If lucky the gals could sign Schindler's dance card and wait for their turn.
       "In 1944, I asked Alonzo Stagg if I could play for the College of Pacific. He agreed and I remembered that against St. Mary's Pre Flight team, I faked a lateral, hesitated and ran it in for a touchdown. I stuck out my tongue, touched my ear or some other sign for the ball to be hiked."
        "I only go out with girls 15 years younger than me."
      Unless Mr. Schindler has already been disposed inside a freezer, chances are that he will out live me on his way to 100 years old.
      
   
   
   

No comments:

Post a Comment