Thursday, February 23, 2017

A Birthday in Huntington Beach

Sometimes when I least expect it, I get what I want. And so it was in the afternoon of the 21st of February. It had been fifteen days since I had informed the Retirement section of my lost check. With the help of Alex, I was able to register on line my new address. The state had sent two letters confirming the change.
    After a nap of twenty minutes I decided to go to the mail room and open my box. I just knew nothing would greet me, but I had no choice. I walked down the hall and entered the isolation chamber. I opened the tin mail  box and saw on the bottom my check. I made it!  Too dead tired to jump, I smiled, and kissed myself. Good going George. A close call but its your turn to call the shots. 
    I returned to my apartment and opened the shower to real hot. I remained in the shower and used up the last piece of Dove soup. I still had five dollars in my anemic wallet, two that Andy the Swede and loaned me. After the hot shower, I waited the thirty minutes before walking to see my brother Mel, whose dead eye began to open up again.
    Early the next morning, I ate two large hard boiled eggs and left for the bus stop. As Always, Walmart would cash my check. They open at seven. The 29 bus took me to Talbert where I walked jp the street to the east side of Walmart. Inside now, I noticed Big Mac Donald's was no more, a wall had been thrown up in front of the store. Jacob with a big smile stood in the area where exchanges, refunds, cashiers checks or checks could be cashed at the best customer service area money could buy.
    I handed him my check and he returned it to me to endorse. I tapped in my social security number and removed my drivers license. He opened the register and pulled out several hundreds.He counted out the specified amount less the six dollar fee.
    "Do you have an envelope? Let me have a few twenties and the rest I will place here. Thanks"
    "Have a good day."
My body ached for real food, not those five a dime sandwiches. I felt like a Whole Food's breakfast that consisted of lean bacon with vegetables to spice it up. I didn't even mind the cold when the bus came a little late.
    The bus dropped me off at the Bella Terra stop and I inched forward to Whole Foods. I sat my stuff down at a counter and strolled to where the breakfast waited for me.buffet waited for me. I scooped up several lean bacon parts and decided on a egg burrito also. I deserved it. It felt like a million dollar breakfast to me.
    With background music, i even danced my way back to my counter stool. A spoonful  of a little hot sauce gave my breakfast a bath. After I had finished the five dollar meal, I sauntered over to the produce area. $2.95 a pound for grapes were out of my ballpark but today was my birthday, and i would hit a home run with a pound of grapes I sampled a few and bought four forties worth.
     I munched on a few clusters and then took my stuff to Bank of America. I needed to part company for some of these hundreds and send a few off into space. After this, I walked to the Navy Store. I desired a new identity so bought a large wool shirt with bright lined colors. I paid thirty for it and put in on. Outside, I sat in a metalic bench. The sun's rays felt so, so good. I was in a trance.
       I then went to Starbucks for a few laughs. I bought a New York Times to see what that jerk Trump was up to now. I began to sing my favorite nursery rhyme: Humpty Trumpty sat in his tower,No finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment