Thursday, February 23, 2017

Huntington Beach Pier March

On President's Day, I had gone to the Sea Cliff Health Center to take my brother Mel for a walk. The Center is located about two buildings south of my Five Points Apartments. And since I still waited for my State Retirement check, a free cup of coffee would sure help.
    Mel resided in the hospice part of the hospital in room 125B. I was sitting up and as always seemed happy to see me. I told the nutritious that Mel would enjoy a spaghetti and meat ball meal and beets today.
    She gleefully responded to my request. My brother lives for food, and the meals are inadequate to stay alive and healthy, unless and friend augments the meals or takes the occupant out. But since my own car had been stolen, we had to make do. The staff, nurses and most everyone worked hard on their jobs.
    I had no idea, at twelve, what I would be doing. but is wasn't too cold and the rain had ebbed to a stop. I decided to pack an eggs sandwich inside my nap sack and get to the Huntington Beach Pier. Inside the number 29 bud was a guitar player who pitched up a duet with a flute player.
    "Back at Spokane, they had a  week of music and fun. I dropped down my guitar case and after the week had passed, gathered up close to eight hundred dollars in change.. Hell at one time I was good enough to pay on tour."
    While another guitar entered and tried to calm his nerves, he confided that he would set out for the pier and strum a few notes for change. I got off on First and lumbered to the pier. My pocket book was almost empty so there would be no drinks for me.
     Outside the pier was a KTLA truck and I saw loads of marchers on the pier. Black Lives Matter, Free choice, and a Hitler in the White House.  The majority of these angry marchers were ladies whose demeanor demonstrated the our new president had made an impact his first month in office.
     It felt good to be alive, even though somebody had not just shut my P.O. Box in Carlsbad, but returned all mail to sender. On that forgettable Saturday, somehow I had made it back to Huntington Beach and had a daughter pay my February rent including the $75 late payment fee.
    "Dad, I don't wish you to be evicted, but pay me back before the end of the month...don't wish to be charged extra " If there is anybody who is deciding about having kids, there is the answer. One day when you grow older, you will become a child again and only too happy to have somebody steer the boat to shore.
    A large group of people clustered at the end of the pier for a chance to go to Ruby's during Washington's birthday celebration. Yet I had my luncheon inside my nap sack, a lonely egg salad sandwich. Oh how I would have loved it if anybody invited this old geezer inside Ruby's. I felt starved.
    I sat on a bench facing a few fisherman. i remember when somebody caught a big white here a week ago and it cut the line from the fishing pole. The 20's music relaxed my frayed nerves while i made sure to eat every morso from the sandwich
   Somehow I made it another day and hoped my retirement check would come to my new mail box soon. While I walked back on the pier, I heard some good guitar music. It was my friend on the bus and judging from the greenbacks inside his guitar case, he would be eating well that night.
 

 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment