Thursday, January 26, 2017

Huntington Beach Flowers

Just another day in Oil Town, U.S.A. But this day felt different-in fact it was so cold I had no feeling in my legs even the space heater sat with a beany on its head. Yes 38 degrees in Surf City, U.S.A. But this morning I felt like a new me had begun. in a couple of days I would enjoy the birth of a new grand daughter.  Seems strange that one who feared women all of his life would entertain two daughters and soon three granddaughters.
   At seven ten, I washed the remains of Lentil soup and filled it with hot water. Even the tap shook it was that cold If only I had bought the thermal at Wal-Mart but that was Monday. At least I bought the ladies pink beany at the Seven Eleven on Main and Orange.
   Now filled with water, I placed it on the stove and turned the nob to heat the water. I also poured hot water into my coffee percolator. I pushed the sliding door and entered the bathroom to turn on the hot water. My was it cold, ever so cold. I pulled out a fresh pair of Haines underwear and fresh socks. I flushed my mouth out with Lavoris mouth wash and took my shower and shave. I wouldn't shampoo today since my head couldn't take the cold I water boarded three eggs into the hot water pot. One eggs looked up to me and screamed to let her out.
    "Not quite yet. Got to wait for a five minute boil and then I will let you out."
    "Don't worry, our congress will not allow me to kill you by drowning, at least not yet."
     I toasted some bread and with a pinch of butter sat down and read from my book about Dean Cromwell, a U.S.C. track coach in the twenties and thirties. The hot Trader Joe's tea with a table spoon of honey gave me quick energy. I made sure to remove the three Trader Joe jumbo eggs when they became solid. I didn't wish the yellow blood to streak onto my plate.
     "Now be easy on removing my shell...that's the ticket." I didn't wish to hurt Mr. Egg and soon after my breakfast readied for the #25 bus, my destination for the Senior Center on Golden West. I took up my bag, pulled on two woolen sweat shirts and out the door I went. It was going on Eight o'clock and my hands felt the force of the 38 degree temperatures.
     Two homeless bikers had huddled themselves inside the bus stop overhang. Each smoked and shook to keep warm. Ones bike was next to him. Many homeless use their bikes for transportation while others scoot on a skateboard. At eight ten I climbed aboard, excited about the birth of another grand daughter.
     The bus ambled to P.C.H and made a right at the Hyatt Spa. It continued north and made another right at the Hilton and stopped. Then for a short block made a left on Huntington Street and another on first where I got off. From there I walked to Main Street's Seven Eleven. It is a thrill to sit at the fountain and join the pansies, snap dragons in full bloom. My how my Mom Edie enjoyed flowers. 
    A homeless Bennie asked me for a buck or two and I nodded no as my reply. I sauntered to the other side of the street to be picked up by the number 25. It was ten minutes late and the driver this time sped up the bus. I wondered what would happen if these drivers went on a one week  walk-out to make Donald give up the notion of a wall.  
   The bus rambled down Orange Avenue north until 17th Street-where the old Rodgers Senior Center stood all alone like a ghost.. After a peek at a grammar school and the higher one, it turned left and after a left on Yorktown made a right on Golden West. I got off on Talbert and could not believe how many bees had staked out the several Rosemary bushes. A sea of blue danced in my eyes.
   The overhanging bushes had been cleared so these flowers could breath. Why I have never looked at so many excited bees. The small lake inside had filled and the Mallards and Geese competed for space it offered. The other day, the geese frolicked after the rain and picked up lost weary worms in the open.  
   Inside the library I worked on the above before my walk across the street to the new Senior Center. Sun flowers glowed on my way to the door. Inside I heard a choir while a piano played some old popular songs.
   At the Gentleman's Club table sat Andrew, Louis and soon Tony. Tony began the club since we have had a knack for having a thrill a minutes as we laugh and make fun of today' world. It is our little club that just might mushroom into a bigger one. Soon we were joined by two other girls. Of course our laughter could be heard for miles around.
  







No comments:

Post a Comment