Friday, May 8, 2015

Los Angles Purple Bus.

Normally one pays a touring bus, like Starline, over thirty dollars to see Los Angeles and its sisters like  like Beverly Hills, Santa Monica or Hollywood. Not I! Just come-along with me.
  The sound of crows fighting over a tasty mouse is my alarm clock. I disdain wearing a watch since I always lose it.  Quietly, I take leave of my daughters back bedroom West Los Angeles apartment.  It is Friday and the downtown Los Angeles Library beacons.
   The Rapid Purple 7 bus in my destination. It bus stop is next to Factors Deli and across from the Glatt Market on Beverlywil Street.  I was in luck. The bus came a few minutes after I sat down. And what a view for my senior fifty cent fare. The Rapid Purple 7 makes only a few, but important stops. It is the commuter bus.
  So far I have not seen one bus driver other than an an African American. They are usually women, like this one, and very polite to me. Gone were the Ralph's and Five and Dime store on La Cienega and in its place were two banks, Chase and Bank of America. The bus continued its march east on Pico.
  The Rapid made few stops, and I saw a gated community with large two story Victorian homes. A large older man boarded the bus at La Brea.   I asked a large older man the name of the gated community.
   "Ah..Ah..It is coming..Ah..Sorry but I can't remember the name." He smiled but looked dejected that he could not remember the name.
   "No problem..ah what is your name?...I forget a lot now too.. But I am a lot older than you."
    Of course I am only trying to be nice. I ask him his name. I was trying to be nice and let him know that forgetfulness is a common problem with age. ..and, What did you say your name was?
    "My name is Lee and  I was born in 1952."
     "My God I am 13 years older than you. Is the name of the gated community  Arlington Heights?
     "That is correct. How did you know?"
      "The name of the gated community in on the street sign."
    The bus now turned left on Crenshaw Blvd. On the corner stood two prehistoric two story Victorian homes. Along side were two duplexes  covered with mud or cement. The bus was almost upon Wilshire. I saw a huge netting.   Lee told me that the Koreans love Golf more than God. and a few homes were turned into a driving range. Now I knew why the Korean ladies win so many golf tournaments.
  Lee shuck my hand and got off at the corner. The Rapid Purple 7 lue made a left on Western and stopped. I got off and crossed the street. The downtown library opened at nine thirty today, and since my stomach ached for nutrition, I walked across the street to the corner In back of Denny's was the a Korean Radio Station and alongside on Oxford Avenue was another golf driving range.
  I entered the Denny's restaurant on the corner.
   I looked at the menu and something different hit my eye. It pictured the normal eggs and bacon with hash but something else excited me. There was French toast topped with sliced bananas and Pecans. Next to it was a small glass with maple syrup.
  "Can you drum up something that looks this good on a plate?" I asked the prompt and graceful waitress.
  "No problem. You'll enjoy our new item." She filled my coffee cup and I waited. Would Denny's serve up what I saw in the pictured menu?"
   In my five years of going to Denny's I have never tasted any breakfast that spoke to me. Well this one did! meal did!
   "Eat me and I'll break your heart with tenderness."
   After a ,meal fit for a king, I then took the underground Metro Purple to the downtown Library. I got off on Seventh and walked two blocks for its nine-thirty opening.

   
 

No comments:

Post a Comment