Saturday, May 16, 2015

The Meto-Link's Ticket Machine

I read about what happened to the Amtrak train back East - and it did not surprise me. I have been riding the Metro-Link for over one year now, and it has been an adventure on every frolicking ride.
  On my May Blog, the southbound train from Union Station  kicked us off at San Juan Capistrano. Now that was the day I almost joined the Marines at Pendleton.
   Many of us, like me, were shocked the train would kick us off due to maintenance work on forward tracks and needed to get off at Carls Junior and take the 535 bus to Oceanside.  But there have been other bloopers on this commuter train to Los Angeles.
  Oftentimes, bathroom doors do not open, engines break down , other trains take precedence, or there is not conductor supervising the passengers or asking for tickets-particularly out of Oceanside's 3:20 to Los Angeles. A few homeless board without anyone checking their tickets.
  By far the greatest bloopers are the ticket machines. Oftentimes one of the two machines do not work. Now one machine might be enough but when patrons rely on only one, they can become distraught when, well...excuse the interruption...
  "Where are you going? I repeat this a few times and find out the traveler's destination is Irvine. "Now hit the letter "I" for your destination and continue."
   Now this can get ugly when a Chinese, Mexican, or one with dementia, tries to elicit a ticket from the pugnacious machine. This ritual ends when the patron slides his credit card into the slot. Oftentimes, the lone machine is stubborn-like a month ago.
  A Chinese gal going to Chinatown to celebrate Year of the Sheep could not get her plastic card to work. Now with a line of thirty in a hurry to buy their ticket, it was imperative for the machine to spit out a ticket - no such luck. I tried to help.
  "Miss, are you married?...No, well let me explain. Don't just shove the plastic inside and drag it out. You need to have the touch of one who has  been married. "Just slide it in and pull it out gingerly...Yes like that!
  Miss Wong gave me a kiss while she ran to track number two to board. The others also ran as the train was soon t depart. Henry, the sweet conductor waved to them.
   "I know there have been issues with our machines. The ride today is on us."
 But like my daughter has said many times, with the bad comes the good. For an old-timer like me it is only seven and change to board - an  I have never been bored on any train. I can study the people, look at the red and orange bluffs of San Clemente or marvel at how the orange trees have now shown life after a steady rain. And who can resist getting off at San Juan. The petting zoo is worth the train ride by itself.
  I can read, change seats, use a toilet, and above all, drink pure air. You see the train's cars do not have any bad ozone or particles I call it my breathing tube.
  Well now the train is entering Union Station. I view the Gold Line Metro heading the opposite direction to Pasadena. I get off and tap the ticket on a turnstile to go below to the underground Purple Metro. On weekdays, a transfer to the Purple Rapid Bus  send me to West Los Angeles where my daughter Lindsay has prepared a dinner for me. ..Tomorrow I will go to Santa Monica to play beach-two-man and indulge afterwards to a hotdog on a stick and pink lemonade.

2 comments:

  1. In about one more hour, I will be in Oceanside to board the Metro-Link. I get depressed when I can not go on a chu-chu ride.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love to feel the westerly breeze out of Los Angeles. Santa Monica will soon have a train going to Fourth Street and a new Colorado Plaza.

    ReplyDelete