Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Memorial Day-Beverly Hills 2015

 
 Sunday's tour started at the Beverly Hills Farmer's Market, beside the Library parking lot. I sat at a round table and enjoyed the bluegrass music eating my one dollar onion bagel. It was a misty morning but the violin, two guitars, base, and later a chromatic harmonica drove lifted the haze.  I donated a few dollars to the jar of the Burning Heart Blue Grass ensemble 
     I spayed some sun tan lotion over the bald spot on my head and scurried to Santa Monica Blvd., a block north and savored the last bite of my four dollar tamale. My task today was to buy a cap at the renowned Thrift Shop in Beverly Hills.  
      The picture below demonstrates that Beverly Hills is not immune to the plight of the homeless. Below is a gentleman standing on Canon Drive counting his change. Rite Aid is in the background. 


     I took a few pictures of the Beverly Hills sign across from Beverly Drive and sat in back of large trees to wait for the bus. It came every fifteen minutes. The large trees gave my hot head time to deflame. 
    A large rest room was in back of me.  I paid my 35 cent senior fare .The Rapid Red 204 passed the City Hall, Annenberg Center, Mormon Temple and entered the city of Santa Monica.
     The #204 Rapid Red stopped on P.C.H. and I walked a few blocks to the Thrift Shop. On the way I noticed that Carlson's appliances had shut down. The salty arid beach air heightened my appetite for life. Excitement flowed everywhere. I treated myself to a nice slice of tomato and mushroom pizza and marveled a reader who sat at a table and read tea leaves. . I drank four cups of water from a large container and ordered a little roll of garlic bread.
    I purchased a hat and dark blue shirt for seven dollars at the Thrift Shop  on Santa Monica Blvd and crossed the street to Philz Coffee.A line stood out the door. A large group of Asians sat inside drinking their special coffee and doing homework. Aficionados of fine coffee lined up in front of the popular store. I asked one to find out why the store with a "Z" ending was so busy. 
   "Well Phil's first coffee shop was in San Francisco. Only Phil could make each blend to satisfy our tastes. Each patron knows what blends to order. We would drive miles for his coffee. All we need to do is tell them our name and our special brand is made."
  On the same side of the street,  the library would open. Like several years ago, the same homeless waited for the clock to strike one. My body felt limp so I hightailed it back to the #204 bus bench for my ride back to West Los Angeles I found out this bus goes clear to the Grand Central train station
The day before,  I  motored-in to enjoy my brother, my daughter with my two grandchildren and of course my number two daughter. Saturday early morning I drove first to the Midway City Assistant Living apartments. The units are off of Balsa and Pacific Avenue.
   Mel was only two happy to see me. His May 27th birthday was a-coming and a trip to Norms restaurant watered his mind. He looked relaxed that Saturday morning. It had been eight years ago when he went blind due to overeating and had needed assistance. He will become seventy five years of age.
   His only living eye watered as soon as he wolfed down the T-bone steak after eating a hardy salad and split pea soup. It seemed that his only eye needed nourishment to remove the left over puss. He had been getting shots into his pupil to stop the pupil from leaking.
   "Mel, I'll try to return on Monday for Memorial Day." I then drove to Belmont Shore. I had left eleven o'clock and now headed for noon. The barbecue was ablaze. Derick had bought two one pound round steaks for the both of us. He added two corn-on-the-cobs for me.
    Olivia, the four year old was proudly working her computer next to my daughter in the dining room. I marveled at the potted Big Boy tomato plants in pots. The fruit had flowered and it was a matter of time that big juicy tomato's would be mine. I heard a wailing inside the house.
    My 20 month year old Grand Daughter recognized me. She wished to sit across from me. She climbed on a patio chair and gave me a book to read. Well who could or would deny Allison. I had brought some fruit from Such Peachy in Encinitas. The baby munched on the fruit and wanted more. I could not get over her appetite for life.
   The gourmet barbecue round steak with mountains of seasoning was something to admire. It took me all of one hour to eat the rounder but each bite felt like a special bite. And guess what, the baby ate the corn the way grown-ups do, like a lawnmower. Allison did somersaults and danced before I left.
Monday I celebrated in Huntington Beach. The Sugar Shack's  tortilla breakfast with hash browns stoked my energy. Afterwards,  Mel and I sat on the bleachers to listen to the Huntington Beach Swing Band. Dignitaries and veterans sat on the concrete bleachers.
   Of course the day could not end until I took Mel to Double Burger on Beach Blvd. I kissed my brother good-by and wished him happy birthday. It is not every day that two brothers live so long that kissing becomes a habit.
   "When I return we will again go to the beach and you will wear the trunks I bought you."
   The drive home was easy since I left at twelve. Of course on a down note, I called my daughter and she needed more money. Oh well! Nothing is perfect.

 Nuts and bolts for today: Pat's son sells lots of cars in Pennsylvania. I sat with her and Mel at their dining table. She spoke about her conversation.
   "You know son, selling cars and baseball have lots in common."
   "How is that Mom?"
    "In baseball you can't win unless you have a closer.  

 

1 comment:

  1. Each Beach has a different essence. Santa Monica is an amusement park with an attraction for everyone. It kisses you with its long wide beaches and a breeze that is refreshing. Whereas Huntington Beach is Main Street that takes you to some of the best surf on the coast.

    ReplyDelete