Monday, May 11, 2015

Grand Fathers' Day 2015

Some folks call it Mother's Day. But as far as I was concerned, it was Grandfather's DayMy daughter came down with my two grandchildren. Olivia is almost five and Allison is 20 months.  
   The setting is Roxbury Park in Beverly Hills. It is ten o'clock. Brand new apparatus have replaced the old. The new teeter-totter has a wheel that moves opposite ladders. There is a round bucket that reminds me of the tea-cups at Disneyland. 
   My parents used to push their grandchildren on the swings and slides over twenty years ago. My Dad Harry took delight when he saw Jay play soccer every weekend. His son-in-law paid for lessons. My Dad Harry lived and died every time Jay got the ball. 
   Well I don't remember laughing so loud. The little one, got on the tea-cup ride and turned the wheel. The cup turned round and around for a few seconds. All I saw was her large head thrown on the spongy carpet. And somehow, I felt the presence of my own Dad. 
   I knew she would howl a yell that could be heard clear to Brentwood. But she didn't! Instead she bounced up laughing all the way. And believe it or not, she got back up on the tea-cup ride again. In my youthful age of 75 years, I have never seen two babies having so much fun. 
   My younger daughter was with me. I could see by her face that she enjoyed meeting her two nieces who have grown so big in height and brains. Olivia did not wish me to push her on the swings. She wished to do it herself. I could see she wanted to be independent. 
   While one daughter preached life to the other,  I asked the little one to get me a flower. She understood me and lopped off one. 
   "Now bring it to me. Give it to my left hand." Well she understood, and how at twenty months.  
    Now Olivia wished to get into the act. She went to the corner of the flower bed and yanked the entire flower--including roots and gave it to me. Both now wished to pick the flower bed clean. 
   Well it was time to go. The little one needed her bed-time but no such luck. Today her bed stood outside inside a flower garden. 
   My two daughters and grand daughters made it a great Grand Father's Day. My youngest daughter celebrated her 32nd birthday on the tenth also. What a joy to have four gorgeous fillies in a beautiful park in Beverly Hills. 
   I just hope my two parents Edith and Harry were watching from above. If so, today could be called Great Grandfather's Day. 
My day Saturday would not have been complete without a trip on the Blue bus to Santa Monica and Muscle Beach. I played two-man volleyball there from 1989-2010. The Westerly breeze was just what I needed to open up my nasal passages. 

1 comment:

  1. Each time I see my two grand daughters it is like seeing them for the first time--my oh my have they changed - and don't we all with father-time.

    ReplyDelete