Monday, May 18, 2015

Balboa Park Dance

Anybody who tells you they can fall in love only once is nuts. I believe before you leave this earth you should do it - at least 15 times.
   About two weeks ago, I sauntered into the Balboa Club Ballroom for their every-other Thursday dance. Now for me in my later years, I don't focus on boobs, legs or whatever's. For me give me a gentle face and a good, sound mind. Now let get on with the one o'clock dance.
   The Billy Harper Band had just begun a Tango, the Bluish one. A petite gal sat in the front with two friends of mine, all in their middle eighties. But for me age is only a number. I could tell by her voice that she must have been from France.
   "This is second time here. I love to dance, but boy friend has Parkinson's and can't get out of bed. I love the way you dance." What is your name? "My name is Louise, but slow down, I can't keep up with you." "Where do you live?"
   "I live in La Jolla...came from Marin County. My husband of 30 years flew for United.  where husband flew for United. He died eight years ago and this is the first time I have come out to dance. For thirty years, we danced every week. I still miss him."  Can you tell me more about yourself?
   Now Louise had a face like an angel but was scared to show it on the dance floor.  She could dance and sang each song. I did a few twirls and a promenade when the music stopped and the moderator told us to get into a circle. left for the circle while I sat down.
    Well at that moment, I thought that I fell in love for the tenth time in my life. Later she spoke about her life on the dance floor. We danced several more. It seemed he wished to divulge all to me.
    "George, I will tell you. I was born in 1936 and not 39. My parents were poor then and I went to live with my Aunt in a little town in Venice. My Uncle served in the military and was killed in Libya. At nine I went back to live with my parents. I missed my Uncle a lot, we were closer than close."
     "All over our town was destroyed and shelter and food was hard to come by. Since my Dad was a an expert with metals, he got a job in Arizona. I went to college but never received my degree in Arts. I was heavy into men and engaged three times. I got cold feet. My first marriage ended in divorce but the second was great."
      "In our thirty years, we went dancing every weekend. His cancer was a big surprise since he had given up smoking at thirty. By the way, I told me friend that I would go dancing from now on. I like you a lot but care deeply about my friend."
      Now I met another gal who also told her Chinese husband that she wished to dance from now on-particularly because she had retired from her computer position. She was tall and learned the steps the first time.
And then the rains came. Everyone looked outside to watch the April Showers that Came in May. I said good-by to Louise, a gal I could easily fall in love with and headed out the door. I took Hotel Circle to the Motel Six, and was I in luck. 
  It was only $59 and change and I got room #428, with a view of the filled up San Diego River below .Now two straight days of dancing made my legs feel like rubber. I felt like a King with two queen size bed waiting for a Queen. I hop[ed that Louise would become my number 5.
  It was a heavy rain but I didn't mind. The rain drops felt good falling on my head.  

   
  

No comments:

Post a Comment