Saturday, January 3, 2015

Encinitas New Year's Dance

Over 12 tables were decorated with blowers, balloons, and baby Hershey Bars. The Encinitas' Senior Center would hold the New Year's dance. It would begin at three and end at six. The guests came from the Wednesday's one o'clock dance club and also the regulars from the Encinitas' Senior Center.  
   I was in a festive mood since everything was going my way. It had been a year of many ups and downs. But lately, everything was turning up Roses. And most of all, The Carlsbad ocean air seemed a lot cleaner than the putrid air of San Diego. 
  One daughter, who I now call 'Magic',  has turned her life around. I still can't believe she threw Marlboro Gold's away  in favor of life itself.  So I sat contemplating the newer version of George. Sure I was over four years older than the 71 when I first made San Diego my home. 
  But with lots of adversity,  I have learned to shed my old clothes and put on newer ones.  Now I shower and painstakingly look over my face and attire before leaving the Carlsbad Motel Six, where I bed down today. 
  I am good to go, and every lady my age has to watch their step. The newer George has arrived. The disco music began with a few dancers. The gals still looked wrinkled and a bit worn, but my new eyes transformed each into a beauty queen.
  
I sit in a back table. To me the rest of life is a floor show. The others become the minor characters while I am the director. Marty and Sharon have put on a good show. Their DJ music is just right for the New Year's Eve. A young thing comes up to me. 
  "May I take this chair."
   "Go right ahead."  Still there were six chairs left at my table.  Anther gal came towards my table.
   "Can my friends join you?"
    "How can I say no to one so adorable."
    Ruth sat down with Abe and four others followed. There was Martin, Gale, Mike and Susie. Ruth is one I had set my eyes on long ago. To be correct, it was four years ago. A waltz was played and my feet looked up and asked "Why not now?" 
   That is when Cleo and her sister Bessie came inside. I knew the tickets had been sold out, and wondered who let them in. They both looked simply divine. Yes divine. Cleo was putting on her dancing clogs. I waited till I had signed her dancing ticket. 
   It felt great to have a cutie in my arms. I counted in my head. "One two thee, pause, four five six..." I twirled Cleo around and around. My body felt in heaven. The three dollar lessons in Balboa Park had paid bit dividends. And then it happened. 
   "Don't tell me when to turn. Just dance!" 
http://youtu.be/B5eyptQDS_0

Well that did not spoil my evening I knew she had been married five times so it could not be my fault. 
I returned to my table and spoke to ninety one year old Abe. He was the one who brought little smiling Ruth. 
   "Where you from Abe." Only one at our table was not Jewish. 
    "From Springfield." 
    "You mean in Indiana." 
    "No, Massachusetts. I went to Springfield College there and had been on the wrestling team."
    "Will you mind if I have the liberty of one dance with Ruth?" His eyes said no but he reconsidered. 
    "Just one. That is all." 
    Ruth jumped up and danced a wee-too-close for my own good. Just then a movie show began with pictures of us on a big wide screen. It was going on six now, and I wished to get my Motel Six's moneys worth. I bed down at seven and fell fast asleep just before New Year Day. 
     There will be a U-Tube on this party soon. And below is Olive Oil grabbing more food. She is filling her paper plate with strawberries. She can't weigh more than forty pounds but puts away one hundred pounds of food each day. She can be seen greasing the dance floor at every San Diego dance.   
   

No comments:

Post a Comment