Monday, January 5, 2015

The Sun has come out over Moonlight Beach.

"Did you feel that wind Craig? The weather is about to change. I can remove my long-johns in favor of volleyball shorts." We sat on a bench on the bluffs. 
   Yesterday,early afternoon, at one thirty to be exact, I felt a shift in the wind. I knew the  Santa Ana's had ended their unmerciful cold-windy-weather. I could don my shorts for the first time in three weeks. Oh yes, Craig is my buddy. The ex-sub sailor always tags along. He uses me as an ear for his many sarcastic stories about what is wrong with San Diego. 
   Two lovers had already camped out besides my white picket fence. I had used it to deflect the cold December winds and as hat to protect my face. I had remembered what my grand daughter had told me when she saw dark blotches on my arms. "Why didn't you use sun-screen?" That occurred two months ago.
   I placed gobs of the lotion over my ears, nose and the back of my head. I removed my folding beach chair and volleyball and left with Craig down a path to the gorgeous beach. I felt in beach heaven.
   Craig and I threw the ball around. My foot arches finally had a good work out. We slept against the wall until three. "George, been to Whole Foods lately?"
   "No is there one in Encinitas?"
   "Yes right down the street on 101."
   We left the cozy beach and I  parked in the Whole Food's underground lot. I picked out a small fish soup and later, a mixed vegetable and fish salad. It cost over twelve for both, but what the hell, my state check arrived earlier and I would celebrate today. 
    Later I'm back at my Motel Six, I felt a surge of energy. Yes, that natural vitamin D did it again. I pampered myself by crossing the street and visiting Albertsons. I bought a big Hershey with almonds and also a cheese-it. Back at my motel, I savor every bite...A few minutes later,  I fell asleep. 

Today I will replay yesterday's. I need to buy a hat and also shorts. The  sun will be a bit higher and the days longer, while I am alive to savor every sunny moment. One hitch today. 
   When i returned to Table 5 in Encinitas, paramedics were hovering around Horst Cahn. He had had a bad cold last week and he fell asleep. 
   They placed him on a litter, and one asked, "How do you feel?" With his eyes barely opened, he replied, "Ask my finger?" 
    In one more hour, I will be back at the sunny-side- of the United States. My own fingers itch to play volleyball. I hope the white picket fense is not taken. I love shade. 
    It is six o'clock and just arrived at the Carlsbad Library to finish my football story. Have a hunch it will lead to bigger and better things but after this afternoon, it will be hard to match the serenity at Moon Light Beach.
    Again I napped before running in the sand. The beach is known for its sunsets, and at about five o'clock it was a dandy. I love to watch the sun go to bed. The colors very with a predominance of yellow and bright red.
    I finished off the evening with a fish soup. It was a bit salty so I have to watch it. The large cups are three times the size of the smaller one. I dip a lot of fish from a different station to get my moneys worth.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment