Thursday, January 15, 2015

May 21st, Schindler day

I met Jose Lopez and Blanca on a Saturday while I entered the Tip Top Restaurant  in Carlsbad. The restaurant was full and I asked them if I could plant myself at their long table. They agreed and asked me what I was writing about. I found out that Blanca had bought two tickets to the game in San Diego as the Trojans would be playing Nebraska in one of the too-many bowl games.
    They had driven all-the-way from Bell, California, just east of downtown Los Angeles. 
They were eating the Big John Special. The cost was a shade under seven dollars and guaranteed to put five pounds on you.  It included all the meat you could eat-but no seconds on Bacon. The plate came with scrambled eggs, hash browns and toast. except bacon,  scrambled eggs, hash browns. "You have tickets for the game against Nebraska,
   "First we are going to a tail-gait party at the stadium.Our friends will bring the hot doggies and burgers and we will supply the pastry." Jose was consumed with his dish, but Blanca's dish happened to be me. She wished to know what I was working on.  
   "I am working on the Ambrose Schindler Story. He played football for U.S.C and is still kicking at 97. I am going to try to get the San Diego City Council make May 21st, Ambrose Schindler day in San Diego.  You know he played his football at U.S.C after leaving San Diego High School. Do you still work Blanca?
  "I work at the U.S.C. hospital. . We have developed a unique way to perform  Esophageal operations on cancer patients. We are the only hospital that removes the damaged esophagus and replace it with a part of the patients intestine. We have a high cure rate." Her husband now looked up at me. His plate was clean. He was muscularly large and face that would light up Christmas lights. In short, he was all smiles, and why not, with a wife as adorable as Blanca. Where did you-two meet?
   "WE met at a grammar school in Bell,California. . I was thirteen at the time. We married a few years later and have been married for forty five years.Our four kids are in their thirties and all have gone to college" 
    Blanca looked adorable, and her husband's grin told me their forty three year marriage was one that love-stories are written about. I asked her husband if he has considered retirement? 
"No Way. I love my job with U.P.S . I have been working for them for thirty two years and have so much seniority, that I make $160,000 a year. I work the big trucks twice a week and travel from Los Angeles to cities in Arizona." Blanca Chimed in now. 
   "We just returned from a three month trip to Europe. Did we enjoy Italy! The meal now finished they waited for some pastry to be boxed for them. Julian pies were in season.
   After lunch, I took them to the  finest produce markets on the vine in Carlsbad. I had been going there for five years and the Grand Market had just moved. Now it was across from the Tip Top Restaurant. 
  . I knew the U.S.C. Tail-Gators would enjoy the local farmer's fruit. They must have since she returned to the Tip Top and gave me a long kiss on the cheeks. 


http://youtube/QxNMAUMG3Iw

No comments:

Post a Comment