Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Huntington Beach Pier, 100th Anniversary

I had not seen my brother in over on month. He has been living in an assistant living apartment for eight years now. Seven years ago, he came down with Glaucoma. A botched laxer treatment left him blind in that eye. He had been getting shots for the good eye, the left one for over two years now. He could barely read the E on the eye chart due to a leaky eye. Three days ago I called Mel and he told me he could see out of the left eye. 

Inside the dinning room sat my brother Mel, larger than life itself, chewing the last bites of waffles. I entered the dining area of the his assistant living home. The first sitting must have been over, but still only a few remained.This time he saw me enter the room. I knew it would be a great beach day today in Huntington Beach for the Goldberg Brothers.  ( At thirteen, a judge overruled my name and changed it to Garrett.) 
   "Mel, what in God's name did you do to your hair. Who shaved it.?" "I'm glad you made it. It will grow back, don't you worry." An employee brought me coffee. She asked if I was  "El Hermano De Melvyn?" 
    "Oui, Yo es El hermano de Mel." Mel's face had changed from dread to delighted.  Yes, his face appeared happy today at the Golden Rays Assistant Living Center  changed from dread to. I asked him about his three table mates.
    "They returned Ruthie to the hospital. She refused to eat and is wasting away. Think she is on her way out." I had met Ruthie about four years ago. She looked like an Albino. The Ogden Utah native refused to eat - even then but had a angelic personality.
    He told me the two others had left. One was from the Philippines and the other from Virginia. Their social security payments were enough for shelter and three square meals a day. I told Mel to get ready for a trip to the beach...he met me in the Patio area.
    
It is aptly named Beach Boulevard since it delivers you where the surf meets the sandy beaches.  Many years ago, Oil derricks covered Huntington Beach and it took hours to remove the oily-film from ones feet. Instead of Oil city, it has been transformed into Surf City U.S.A. It is celebrating its 100th birthday this year.  
  I made a left on Main Street and marveled at these older-than-time Spanish and Victorian homes with lattice and gables watching my every move. Each house was well-manicured and why not? Each was published in Whose Home.  
   My disabled license plate allowed me to park   across from  the Sugar Shack  a beach icon. My drive north on the 5 before it gave a high-five to the  405  produced a generous appetite. I ordered the special with sausage, Pancakes, and eggs. Mel watched me eat. I could not believe he simply watched. It was not Mel-like to watch without sampling, and why you ask? He's happy and does not need food for nourishment. Life is nourishment!
   Main Street is home to surf stores, beachwear, bars, but most of all lots of color. Unlike other towns, the freeways don't surf here and the soft winds make it a vacation here.  
 We then walked to the beach and we sat on the concrete bleachers. Mel could now  make out the yellow number on the life guard tower. That was a miracle.  A few young gals did somersaults on the grass while  beach-goers walked on the strand with their dogs and husbands in toe. Beside us were a band if tourists from China. They were tall and each owned a Canon camera. . 
  I videoed my brother singing Eddie Fisher's Oh My Papa and the song, If I Ever Needed Love? My brother had the golden voice and as far as I am concerned, its better than Frankie. 


Of course I took pictures of the surfers and volleyball players. The sun played  peek-a-boo with the sun-worshipers. 
  The day was not over. I treated him to Norm's and a  New York Steak, shrimp, carrots, potatoes, Jumbo soup, salad and four coke refills.  
   "Hey Mel, can I get you another order?"  "No I wish to see the Green Bay game."  "Seattle will win by six" and we left. Mel gave me the lift I needed and I did the same. That is what all brother are for, aren't they?  
   .

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment