Friday, December 26, 2014

Christmas Day to Remember

     On the day Christ was born, I felt starved. No creature sturred on the Carlsbad City streets. Why even Wal Mart was closed. I drove to another store to buy a package of bacon-bits and it to was closed.    
     Across the Motel Six parking lot, the cleaners had opened. At least I could get my whites cleaned today and get my mind off of food.  I returned to my motel room and loaded the car's trunk with my dirty clothes. I felt good to be busy and get my life organized. After all, I would be a recognized author one day,and needed to look well-dressed and clean.
    After 12 quarters well spent in the laundry room , I returned to the Motel Six on Carlsbad Village Drive climbed the steps to my room. I  remembered what Ron had told me about Keno's, an old eatery off of P.C.H. The eatery offered a free lunch each Xmas. At about twelve o'clock I drove first to Ralph's in Carlsbad. In no way would two major markets be closed,  Christmas Day. It was!
    My stomach growled. I needed to appease it and left for Keno's off of Highway 101 and arrived about eleven. The free lance turkey meal with cranberries, stuffing, mashed potatoes and a jam smothered my stomach with good cheer and love, and a bit too much gravy...would have to wait for twelve to arrive. I settled for a turkey sandwich and mashed potatoes.  My stomach always paid the price if I ate too much fat.
     Satisfied now, I drove a few blocks to the Moonlight Beach upper lot with a unblemished view. Below, many beach goers took advantage of the clear westerly breezes. The new children's area   was packed with tots pushing swings or climbing  slides. 
    The ocean waves appeared angry, splashing suds in every-which-way. I could even make out the strong undertows.I walked down the curved path to the beach. A motor-driven small car almost ran over me. A kid tried out his present while a skate-boarder jumped over a trash can. I still made it to the sand and found a corner white picket fence next to a house. It would provide me with just enough shade to keep the two o'clock rays off of me.
    I kicked back in my chair and fell asleep. The ocean breeze had pacified my mind. My connection with HIM became tighter. An errant volleyball hit me in the noggin and woke me from a deep slumber.  An entire family was playing volleyball. It appeared they had never played the game and were probably visiting from the Midwest judging from their white skin. They did not wear bathing suits and their skin looked too white for a Californian.
 Heartburn from the sandwich upset me. I drank a quart from the fountain. I knew my hunger had been quenched  but I what i needed of Christmas cheer. I decided to go to Keno's for my feast. Already a large number were inside waiting to be served.
   I saw my buddy Ronny  who had parked his three-wheeled-bike outside of Keno's.  Ropes attached to his bike carried the 75 year old's possessions. Like always, he seemed hungry. Trays of smashed jam, sliced turkey, mashed potatoes, cranberries, cut carrots, and lots of pie topped with whipped cream. 
   Ron is called Houdini from a friend of mine.  He is one of a hand-full of homeless that has avoided the police by disappearing in the night. The tall whiskered gentleman had biked into 47 different states. With frequent-peddle-miles, he could have biked in the sky for free. 
     Back in Minnesota, seventy seven year old Ron  had waited for seven years before leaving his past behind. His wife and seven children had never called. Of course had it coming as drink-with-the-ladies don't mix for a  for a blissful marriage.   
   Excuse the interruption, but speaking about the homeless. A tall, grey whiskered man at commuter station number 806 is snorting and sneezing. at the San Diego Library. The cold Santa Anna winds keep the meet trucks handy all-day. He probably has a cold tent waiting for him on Park Blvd. 
     These outsiders look good one week and are picked up by San Diego's meat trucks another. There he goes again, snorting and sneezing. The cold Santa Anna make it tough on Santa Claus to bring gifts to these drifters. And I should talk. 
   Well Houdini's plate of turkey with the trimmings disappeared soon after he sat down. Why just maybe that turkey had wings and flew the coop. His second plate of Christmas cheer took longer to engage. We washed the pheasant down with three glasses of coke and said our good-by's. 
    I didn't have good luck buying reading glasses. Every shop in Encinitas was closed. The only place open was a new theater in Oceanside. Thank God it was open, but one problem. The movie Unbroken had been sold out. 
   But I did not give a hoot. My two daughters and two grand-daughters were doing just fine. And that is the blessing God has given me this year. Every day is Christmas for me.  . Just might make a song out of it. 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment