Wednesday, December 3, 2014

The San Diego Jazz Festival

It was twenty five dollars well spent. The peanut butter sandwiches became my dinner for two night but it didn't matter. I felt so hooked on jazz that I wished to put jazz on my menu more frequently.
   One hundred and one jazz bands hunkered down at the Town and Country during the five day Thanksgiving event. Jazz players came from as far as London to be at the gala jazz festival. Why I even gave up Del Mar and watch the Kentucky Derby winner California Chrome circle the field and win by two links on Saturday.
  Sunday after an early meal at the Immaculate Conception Church in Old Town and another soul inspiring sermon by Father Ecker, I used my monthly compass card to get on the Green Line Trolley for the Fashion Valley Exit. i crossed over the San Diego River bridge on my way to the hotel's Convention Center.
  Bands played in several rooms but I spelled grub first of all. Of course I didn't have a pass. I entered the room for refreshments. I belted down a few sandwiches, a pickle and olives before my table struck up the band with performers.
  As usual I just kept munching on my sandwich and kept a low profile. About thirty musicians entered the room, some holding wine cups from the other room. Each was well groomed and old or older than I. One old timer did much of the talking. He must have been holding up ninety years of age.
    "I met Harry James as a kid of fifteen. A truck load of trumpets spilled  out at a hotel. James picked one out for himself and distributed the others to his band members. I played with Jerry Tea-garden's orchestra and also played the clarinet...."  
    I tried to crash the Gold Room but decided to buy a one day 25 dollar pass. It was worth it. Also had a chance to dance to one of the orchestra songs. A famous one hundred and two year old lady belted out a few songs. She could not leave her seat. 
    One couple kissed after each swing number. It was in the Gold Room. The man was hunched over and the gal smiled with each move. Never have I seen a couple so in love on the dance floor. I decided to walk on over and ask them for a picture. 

"I have never seen a couple dance and kiss after every set. How long have you been married? bet you have been married for forty four years." 
    "Only twenty five. Both of us suffered through our first marriages."
     "May I ask how you met?"
      At that point her husband chimed in. They looked eager to tell their story, but I thirst for more intimate details. 
      "My eyes glued on the blond with the cute smile. My buddy was dancing with her and I told him to beat it."

      "I kept after her until she gave me her phone number." At that point I told Sandra I could guess her age. I took a good look at her again. In  no way could this piece of cheese be over seventy.
      "You are sixty-six years of age, Sandy."
      "No I am sixty seven."
     I took their pictures so I could see what got away in Virginia. I have never seen a gal so radiant with life before. My ex-sure-as-hell didn't come close.  
      

No comments:

Post a Comment