Monday, December 1, 2014

Thanksgiving 2014

Thanksgiving day 1914 proved to be better than the previous year. 
  I  had left San Diego earlier that morning and paid a visit to Mel's retirement home. He seemed in good spirits as he looks forward to one of Derik's gourmet turkey-legs.  
   "George, make sure I get a leg as good as the one last year." 
   My car Dolly was in good spirits as I had bought new  Discount tires for her. Dolly skipped on the 405 north and we made our way to the 22 West Freeway. They lived in the area called Belmont Shores. With no breakfast, my legs made me drive a little faster. Nothing would stand in the way of another turkey feast at my daughter's house. There rented house is a modest two bedroom one bath fixer upper. 
    Through the patio window I watch my daughter playing with the newest edition, Allison. She spots me and wraps herself around Lauren.  She runs to Lauren, my daughter, and demands to be picked up.   She did not know what to make of this grey haired intruder.  Her sister Olivia is asleep in the other room. 
    I try to pick her up and kiss her. Allison hugged her Mother ever so tightly. I walk to the backyard with my book and am in deep thought.  Deep in thought, I hear the creak sound of a door. And there she is, my birthday girl who has just turned four.  She skips down the porch steps and lands on my lap. Her blue eyes spot something.  
    "Granddad, what are the spots on your arm?"
    "I got those from too much sun." Her dainty hands caress these old-aged spots.
     "You should have use sun screen. What are you reading? She examines the small print of the large book while I extracted a walnut from a bowl. Olivia grabs it from my hand and after a few futile minutes of trying to open the shell, she surrenders and hands it to me.  
   I crack several shells and instead of trying one, she proceeds to feed me.  After I cracked the safe, she removes some pieces and begins to feed them to me,  one nut at a time."
     "Olivia. go get your present in the other room. It is a new children's book called Olivia." 
   I had bought it from the  downtown San Diego Library. Instead of returning with that book she brings another one. another one. Derick came outside and placed some rolls on the barbecue grill. Later he returned and placed cheese and dips on the table. Again Olivia fed me.
     Now if you don't get it by now, you better see a shrink. Olivia had become my Mother and I her  baby.

    Now it is Clarence time. She is the turkey. Besides Clarence,  I am  the only guest at the Thanksgiving dinner. who came to the Turkey dinner. Clarence sits in the middle of the table. She whispers in turkey talk. 
   "I am upset the Obama did not pardon me like he did for the White House turkey."
  She stops speaking as now Derik cuts the turkey. Her eyes drip blood. Derik has placed a few turkey chips on Olivia's plate. She sits in a corner seat next to me and the front window. I
     "Olivia, no ice cream until you eat the turkey!" 
  To save time and space this theme played out for a few minutes with the same outcome. Finally Olivia  stands and runs to the kitchen.  We heard a loud scream after a louder thud. Allison's head landed on the kitchen floor. 
      Father Derick jumps up and runs to the kitchen. He grabs Olivia and takes her to her room. She knows she was wrong but does it anyhow.  for the kitchen and returned with a battered Allison. 
   In no way would Olivia eat her turkey. And why not you ask? Now she was getting all of the attention, even it a bit negative.She returned and the same theme played again. Only I an observer knew what was going on.
     Like two Thanksgivings ago, the Clarence turkey tasted almost as good as her Mom Selma. I ate the drumstick and also  a wing. You might even say I winged it. All awhile Olivia sat and Lauren waited for her moment to shine.
     They had spent the better part of the day preparing the meal and Lauren needed to get her mouth on the pumpkin pie. In fact, Lauren could not wait any longer. She went into the kitchen and battered the pie into five pieces.
     Now I have always hated pie, but not this time. The only one who did not like it was Olivia. Figuratively speaking, she threw it in our faces.  

No comments:

Post a Comment