Wednesday, August 20, 2014

The Making of the Movie, Titanic

In no way did I think that my move to San Diego would take me to the making of the picture, Titanic, but it did. I met Larry Barnes about three years ago, inside a small Jewish store front Chabad. We became intimate friends, or soul mates. 
   In earlier blogs, his identity had been hidden. I called him Sam the Taxi man. He had driven taxis and pedicabs for several years. Lawrence had also won, after ten trials, a verdict against Twentieth Century Fox. But as a good story teller, I will let the events unfold for you. 
   Larry bought a spread of Cole Slaw, black beans, and chicken. The only thing he forgot was sliver wear-ware. That would prove to be a big mistake since he rolled the dice at Seven Eleven and left his cell phone there. (Later he found it in a refrigerator.)  
   Still we ended up at the Harbor, between the two Sheraton Hotels. In back of us stood the San Diego International Airport and across the bay was North Island. We made an early dinner spread on an round tabled umbrella. We viewed a large truck loaded ship and several sail boats. I took his advise and shut my mouth and listened -- something that took me 75 years to do. 
  
 I was partners in a Tijuana flower shop on Primavera Street It was 1996 and I was busy reading the San Diego's United Tribune. I lived in a trailer then and sold flowers to the locals. My partner and I made lots of money in the early eighties.   A black Taurus drove up and parked in front of the flower shop. Several well dressed men got out and walked towards my store. 
   The lead man spoke with a heavy British accent and screamed, . "Does anybody speak English here?"
   "I do and how can I help you?"
   "Thank God you spik my language. Are you the flower man for the city?"  
    "I am, and am at your service." 
     "We are making a movie in Roserito Beach. Can you come to our set?"
     "I am at your service."
 I drove to the beach. I had lived there for a few years. I saw a gigantic movie set. A movie studio had brought their sets to the beach.  I saw an exact replica of the ship Titanic. Their were sets and cranes everywhere. It was a movie city. Ford was too busy to see me but had an assistant take me to large tent. 
   Inside the commissary was a large long wagon holding trays of of different types of gourmet foods.  Prime ribs, chops , and the freshest vegetables graced each table. I indulged and saved a few scraps for my dog Tasha 
    A gentleman sat down beside me.He introduced himself as Bill  Zane and told me he was an actor in the movie.  I told him about my credits in the music business and that one of my closest friends was Bob Seger. I had done publicity for some of the biggest rock stars in the seventies.  
    In the eighties, I was the largest distributor of flowers in North County.  began to make a few flowers arrangements. Several years earlier, I was the largest distributor of flowers in North County. I owned acres of flowers and among my clients were Safeway, Vons, Ralph's and a host of other stores. 
   "Well Larry, you are quite entertaining. I hope we eat together every day during the filming of Titanic. He told me the names of those visitors were Mike Ford, the Art director, and also Antonio Mata, Barry Wilkerson, and Roz Singleton. Wilkerson was the prop maker. (I bump into Mata every day.)
   The next day I returned with four vases of flower arrangements. Included were the freshest cuts of colored Roses, Daffodils, and other varieties. I showed the arrangements to Ford the next day. 
   "F..k..F..k... You are the flower man." 
   I became the go-to-guy for the production. Any time they needed anything, the film makers came running to me. I brought an refrigerated truck to the set. The flowers had to be fresh at all times. 
  I changed flowers on four sets, particularly the master bedroom's.. To the dismay of other workers, I would run to my vases and remove and replace the flowers and it did not bother its Director David Cameron one bit. Many were jealous of me. Almost everybody loved me.  even with Cameron, the director smiled and kept out of my way.   
    I had no idea then, that they would fire me several months later and I would sue them in a Mexican court and win. 
     It was now clouding over and I had forgotten to wear a jacket. Larry still was upset that he had left hid cell in a Seven Eleven. I told him that next time he should not gamble and leave the phone inside the car. We dropped the left overs inside a trash can and said good-by to the Harbor. The spot was one of my favorite spots and will be included in my book about San Diego.
   Sprint Shop was closed to we hustled to Best Buy to buy another. Thank God Larry had his Google phone insured. He drove me back to my 'Y' cell. My phone still had not lighted red...I put up my hands and surrendered to sleep when I heard my phone.
   It was my green eyed blond haired Mexican friend Juanita, from Juarez. We talked for hours and the only thing she didn't ask was the color of my underwear. (Unedited)

No comments:

Post a Comment