Tuesday, August 12, 2014

See Coronado Free

The greatest view of San Diego is free for me. I have a $41 compass card that puts me on buses, trolleys, and most trains. I needed to pay for a lost book and knew a bus ride over the Coronado bridge would be just what the doctor ordered. It is only $1.10 for a one way ticket or five dollars for an old day pass. 
    I picked up the #901 bus on Third Avenue  and Broadway. It was about ten thirty and the bus comes about every thirty minutes. A good idea is to have some munchies and a water bottle. No need for a book since the ride is divine. 
    The 901 meanders through tenth Avenue until Park Blvd. From there is weaves around to the Imperial Terminal, and takes a rest stop. The new passengers are homeless, domestics or tourists wishing to see the Island most talked about. It travels onto Imperial until National and then proceeds to the on-ramp of the bridge. 
    Below is the train yards that brings new cars, cattle or other products towards Los Angeles later that evening. Also is the Naval piers that are mainly empty today, what wild fires flashing everywhere. The Tijuana mountains are to the south and the San Diego skyline are to my north. 
    The bus takes third street and swivels to fourth before it turns right on Orange Street. To the left is the way to the Coronado Ferry and its vintage shops. The 901 makes a right to the library on Fifth Street. An advertisement on the corner is posted. Their local bus offers free bus rides every thirty minutes and comes between nine to nine at night. 
    The #904 ride is free. It takes you to the famous Hotel Del, old downtown, Glorietta Bay, and the Marriott hotel among other stops. Next time I will partake in a luncheon at the Del Hotel. I pay the $25 dollar fine and leave the gorgeous library with outdated computers. There is only two in the computer room today. Backtracking is easy. I take the #901 bus in the other direction. Again we visit the Coronado Bridge.
   Many buy the all-day five dollar bus pass and take the number 7 bus to Balboa Park. 

Hunger grips me. On Park Blvd, the bus dispatches me to Lolita's where I order and delight in a enchilada dish with beans and rice. I walk a few more blocks and take the trolley back to the American Plaza, a block from the Y.M.C.A.  

No comments:

Post a Comment