Friday, August 1, 2014

Meet Mr. Phoeng


   In a wind blown firing May, I discovered my inhalers broke down when dust or grim entered the shell. It had never happened before. But this is San Diego where dirt, grime and crime are everywhere.   The new fan-dangled gadget had told me I had over one hundred puffs left...
   Sorry I left you, but the urge to play the recently tuned Yamaha Piano overwhelmed me. I felt overwhelmed that my retirement check had come on time...Hell, I was tired of eating Kirkland Tuna sandwiches. 
   Now getting back to my little broken inhaler, I drove to the Kaiser Clinic's pharmacy for a new ventilator. My turn in line came up, and I showed the gadget to the order taker. 
   "Dust and heat must have broken it. I needed a replacement...See there were 98 puffs left when it broke down." She took it and a few seconds later the tall blond gave me a brand new one. 
    "That will be seven dollars." 
     "Hell no. Last time I got a new one!" She called the head pharmacist over. His name was Phoeng. 
     "What is wrong? Why no work. Look-you." Mr Phong shook the gadget until it began to spit medication. 
      "Well Mr.Phoeng,  if I could have shaken my hand the way you did, it just might have saved my second marriage. I am going to name my next Grandchild, 'Phoeng". g'. 
    He left and the cashier removed the tube's cover. My God Mr. Garrett, look at all of that dust...and is this a remainder of a package of Splendid?
      Everyone began to laugh, and of course I needed to apologize. In the bathroom, I cleaned out the covering and sure enough, there was a small piece of a Splendid wrapper.

   Next I drove a few miles to the downtown Carlsbad post office. Two checks smiled at me and they asked me to remove and cash them from my postal box.  
   "Why thanks for taking us out of here. I don't know why they placed me in bulk mail anyway. Doesn't Governor Brown care that you get your mail on time.'
   I cashed my two checks and placed $600 into my daughter's bank account. I felt proud to be a great Grandfather who worshiped his daughters more than himself. I was about to throw away the torn envelopes when I heard a little noise. 
   "Can you take me to Del Mar. I want to bet on number seven, and can you buy us some kettle corn."
   "Let me check if the Races are still on. Yes they are running at four o'clock. Let me fix the lip of your face before we go. 

  Message for Today:  Live your passion, and your dreams will come true. (Not edited.)
    
   

No comments:

Post a Comment