Saturday, August 23, 2014

A Visit to San Diego High School

Since now I am 75, I have had to edit my life. I need to do only the essentials every day. My sponsor wants me to publish my book, The "Amby Schindler Story".Amby went to San Diego's first San Diego High school school in the middle thirties.  . I needed a venue to publicize my book in hope of luring a publisher. I also wished to go to the Veteran's War Museum in Balboa Park and see about using it for a book showing.
   
Spinach, lots of Popeye food,  would be my guest today for breakfast.  Ever since Lawrence Barnes survived three leg surgeries, I fell in love with the cafeteria at Scripps Mercy Hospital, San Diego's oldest. So I indulged my palate with scrambled eggs, two lean bacon strips, mingled with the spinach.  As always, I spent time inside the hospital library reading the New York Times and working its computers.
  I discovered that the downtown 'Y' was sold to pay debts. The city council okay-ed the deal. It appeared that they wished to maintain a low rental atmosphere there. That didn't occur. Some rooms went for $300 during Comic-Com, and each accompanied two bunk beds for sixty five dollars each. Some felonious sham.
   I returned to the Old Town Commuter lot and substituted my Cavalier for a  Green Line Trolley. Back inside my 'Y" I made plans to go to San Diego High School and then  the Veteran's Memorial museum,  up the street on Park Blvd.  I wished to see Captain Will Hays, the chairmen of the Memorial Veterans Center.
   I took the Blue Trolley to the Seven bus for my trip to Park Blvd. I wished to see the Principal and make a date to show a DVD and bits and pieces of my book. A line of students greeted me and made it impossible to get inside the main office. It was registration day.
   Instead, I walked up the library steps and to my surprise, saw new books stacked everywhere. Even the Alumni office had been rearranged and was located outside. Sharon removed the 1933-34 yearbooks and I tried to take pictures of Schindler and his Highlander teammates. Upset that I could not see the Principal, I got her phone number and took shots of some other alumni members. I took one of Art Linkletter, and also Gregory Peck's, on a  a Forever Stamp. I took pictures of  Russ Sanders and 'Cotton' Warburton on the walls also. (I had met 'Cotton's dental son in Santa Monica six years ago.
   Peck had been a member of the advanced Glee Club and also a member of the Junior Varsity Football team. I wondered if I might get more information from the Census to see where he lived and so-forth. Russ Sanders, in a wrestling pose, would put Jack La Lane to shame. A statue of him can be found in the quad of U.S.C. ( Why last Monday I took a picture in front of his statue.)
  From the high school, I got on the #7 bus and rode it ways to the Veterans Memorial Museum. Inside were room that depicted the history of our wars, dating back to Revolutionary times. It is five dollars for adults but vets get inside free. There are old rifles, bomb sights and narratives of famous battles. In fact, i get so involved it feels like I am in a battle.  I met Captain Will Hays. He was Captain of two Frigates, the Warden and Ecstasy during World War 2.
   "My two ships floated ahead of the aircraft carriers. We tried to undermine the subs and lead the ships to their destination." I got more information on who to see for a showing and after a salad meal in the Balboa Prado area left and took the #7 back to my hotel.
   I put on the Turner channel, tired of the shit T.V. has to offer that kettles terrorism, and watch, would you believe Roman Holiday starring Peck and a thin filly named Audrey Hepburn. I hoped that on my next holiday I might meet Hepburn's twin.

 My blog is taking off and will soon be looking for sponsors and advertisers. Ask your friends to follow me, and thanks for your patronage. Remember you don't have to agree with me so trash me when you feel like it. 

1 comment:

  1. I am in love with my life. I am beginning to write piano music too.

    ReplyDelete