Saturday, January 4, 2014

Horst Cahn "I want to tell you something."

  "I called up Washington D.C. and wished to know if anyone else from my camp in Auschwitz had survived. They told me I was the only one still alive."
   It was probably your sense of humor that kept you alive. "I want to tell you something, George...When the war ended, the Russians told me to remove the German uniforms. I kept my uniform on stating that "My God has told me not to steal."
   At that point in our Oak Tree Cafe lunch, Judy ran up to me and asked if I "still wished a meal." I donated a few dollars and sat at a private table and listened in. Barbara now had a chance to speak. She now calls Gregorio "Greg". They have gone on four chaperoned dates so far. And Love is in the Air.  Wouldn't it be something if Greg became Lady Barbara's husband number four? 
   "George, You know I played a grand piano in a mansion. We drank and I danced by myself, You know Greg directed the Stalingrad Symphony. And Joe Stalin watched. Hope you can meet my son at Moonlight Beach."( It is my favorite beach and has a great view from round parking lot on a hill."
   "Sorry, I need to check with my post office to see if Governor Brown had sent my check."
   Table 5 has transformed miserable lonely creatures waiting, to those who wish to live forever-laughing and enjoying food with those who care. Excuse the interruption.
   "I want  to tell you something....We had no idea in 1943 what was happening inside the labor camps. The Germans took us to the train station and made us enter a box car. There was standing room only. The bucket I placed next to the door. When the Germans opened it, they were splashed with our toilet."
   "We had to hide our bread. We were fed three times a day. You took a chance when you left something in your barracks.

    My fingers told me it was time to play. I recalled a Chopin tune from a CD. I played it and not badly I may add. Lady Barbara walked to the piano. She revels in our piano playing. I then played, Some Enchanted Evening. We returned to the table
   Lady Barbara would not stop talking and looking at the beaming smile of "Greg" her knew boy friend. I had sat with her earlier and wanted more information about the untimely death of Jay, the love of her life and father of seven.
  "The funeral was held at Forrest Lawn. We could not write about it since the church would have been overflowing. All of Bechtel and power company employees from Arizona and Nevada came to his funeral. It was all one big blur to me.I could no longer sleep in our bed. I kept looking for Jay. He was my life!! Finally, I left to live in Romona for a few years. I returned to a house close to the beach.
  "Later I moved to Julia and opened a dress shop. I had some of the richest clientele. I went to the L.A. Mart to buy the dresses. I lived there for ten years and the shop did well. I am now wearing clothes that never sold."

   To keep with the flow, more talk with Table 5 continued on Monday, the Sxth of January. Horst, like usual appeared like a golf professional today. His colors were light, mainly white with a bright striped shirt and hat to match. Again he strode to all tables to spread his yarns around.
    "Do you know the Germans called us by our first name, either Israel or Sarah. My name was Israel Horst Cahn. Ghengis is my cousin so just watch it."
     When the Russians arrived in your camp, did they provide food?
    "No. Actually, I was placed in a room with others to ill to walk. When I got better, we had nothing to eat but a lady made us baked potatoes and placed them in a bag for us. We saw a truck the Germans left in hast. We discovered cans with meat and vegetables. It still took a while for me to regain my 150 pound weight."
    'I hid the potato sack since it was a sin to just throw food away. The Red Cross sent me a letter confirming that I remained in sick bay after liberated."
    A friend in the computer lab wrote that after President Truman, our leaders have removed the desert from our country. Truman retired to his home and paid for everything, unlike today when our leaders spend spend and spend lavishly while we go hungry. I mentioned this to Lady Barbara.
    "When I walked the precincts for the Republican Party, I did not trust Nixon one bit. I walked them with the wife of the founder of Big Boy. They didn't trust me to walk alone."
      "The Mott family controls everything George.  They sold their land to the United Nations and call all of the shots today. You will never read or hear anything about them. George Schultz married one of the Motts, that is why  I know this."
     By that time, the taxis and lifts came for everyone. 
  
  

   "
  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment