Friday, January 3, 2014

An Untimely Death .

 

   On the last day of the year, I, again, sat with Horst Cahn and Lady Barbara. Barbara again spoke some about her husband Jay, who unexpectedly, died at the pinnacle of his career at Bechtel Power corporation. Since our conversation at table 5 is constantly interrupted, I thought it wise to splice her life together on chronological time-of course without any interruption.
  "I had seven kids, and luckily, my sixth was finally a girl. I am sure God gave me lots of boys to make me more tolerant of men, since my relationships with my Dad wasn't good. It worked.'
   "I had no trouble delivering the seven kids, but the last took the longest. I breast fed all of them till I became dry. With seven kids to cloth and feed, I didn't get much rest. One day my baby was in the bathonette while I slept. The baby cried and I spied Billy spreading nail polish all over the babies face."
   ""Jay always kept dinner with us, no matter what. He was on his way up and we received a phone call from Steven Bechtel. He sent us on a private jet to the Los Palos Power Station in Arizona. He needed to get to know his new vice president."
   "Besides dinner, he took us on a tour of the power plant. His wife was a bit on the heavy side but she trooped her way to the top. I was scared to death. I liked Steve since he was always pleasant. We went to dinner several times"
   "With the new position, Bechtel mailed us family stock soon after. (They bought them back after his death, but sent a tidy some as a replacement.
   By that time, Horst returned to the table. "Why do I have two pies?"
   "To make sure you keep your mouth shut." was my retort.
   The rice with a slice of chicken and two vegetables was served up. I had already finished my myopic salad dish with two fork fulls. Barbara now became more animated. She changed subject now to her Uncle Charles.
   Uncle Charles would place me inside his wheel barrel and lug me to the big chicken coup. Each chicken produced an egg a day. He gathered the eggs while I shuddered that I might fall the special latter he had built. My Uncle inherited the farm but kept up with his postal route.
   Once some chicken were brought to his farm. They did not wish hens so when one grew up, my Aunt strangled it and placed the remains in a bag for us to drive home.
 
    At that point, we she begins to eat and finishes her story about her husband Jay. "About the time he began to think about taking over a new energy station in Saudi Arabia, he began having coughing spells. He would not go to the doctor. I told his doctor to call him at work. I called his secretary.
    'You will be receiving a call from Jay's doctor. The doctor wishes to see him at lunch time-or I am sure he would not go."
   "I am relieved you called. We at the office are worried about him."
   A few hours later, his doctor called.
  "Barbara, we had to admit your husband. Can you come to the hospital."
   I found out he had cancer. I  call Mr. Bechtel. George, this is a copy of a letter my husband wrote in the hospital.

                                               My Dear Bechtel Friends:

              What I want to say is bursting in my heart and this is the fastest way I know to share it with all
              of  you. It would seem to the casual observer that my fortunes went from the "heights" to the
             "depths" in a  matter of a few days. Don't you believe it!!!
               The illness I have is extremely serious but that is just another problem we will solve with God's 
                help.    The important thing is I want to get across is why Jay McEntee is still "among the peaks"--- I am                                  blessed to with a spirtual relationship with my Lord and Savior which keeps me from getting 
                "hung up" when death is a real prospect.
  ..             .I am blessed with a family who believe as I do, and who all strengthen each other during times of crises. .
                  blessed with so many friends who are praying for me - - the power of those prayers, I know, will "move  mountains.      untains. 
   ..            .I am blessed with an employer who, when the chips are down, really shows its concern for people.
                   So, as you  can see, we are still in there pitching and there are lots of innings left.
                 So many of you have sent cards or called many times. I would like to express the heartfelt thanks of Barbara and                      myself for your thoughtfulness and concern.
                                                        My warmest regards, Jay (Not yet edited.) o
  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment