Monday, January 6, 2014

Don't J Walk in San Diego

 "Sir! Stop over there!" 
  I took a chance. I didn't wish to wait today. I looked both ways until clear of cars. I began to walk across when somebody screamed.
  My heart raced a bit, but not too much. A handsome motorcycle stopped beside the curb that led to the Santa Fe Station. He left his bike and spoke to me about J walking. .
   "It is the leading cause of death. Over ninety percent of accidental deaths come from J walking."
   "You are right officer...Glen Thomson." (I got his name off his shirt." .
    He began to open up his ticket booklet. How much is the ticket?"
   "It is one hundred and ninety two dollars." My heart dropped a beat.
   "So far officer, I have had the greatest New Year possible. I apologize for my judgement. It wont't happen again...and I will warn others in my Blog.
   "Well, see that you promise not to do it again. I will write up it up as a warning." He gave me a copy of the citation and got onto his bike.
  "Happy New Year. Mr. Thompson
   I felt glad it didn't happen in Carlsbad. The police there are not so forgiving.
  I entered the  Santa Fe Station to wait for the 567. It makes all of the Coaster stops. I got in line and waited for the call over the speaker. "Will all of you going to ..."
  On the first level I found a seat. It felt good to have saved over one hundred dollars. Over the trains speaker I heard, "This is not the #769. This choochoo  is the t is the 567. Also, only those with disabilities can sit on the lower level. Conductor Ricky now checked each for tickets. The two across from me were Latinos. One was rubbing her fingers. They spoke only Spanish.
   "Where are you going?" She responded, "Solano Beach." The older one told the conductor she was going to Encinitas. He got to me.
   "Thank you for saying "ChuChu." It lightened up my day. How long have you been with Amtrak?"
   "In ten months, I retire. This is my fortieth year."
    I asked a few more questions and not to bore you, I lumped his answers together.
   "The job pays the bills. I have three kids and seven grand ones. I live in Santee. I worked the Northwest area most of the time.'

    Two of the domestics got off with me in Encinitas. One looked lost. The darker hair with too much eye shadow was not aware the bus stop was a block away. She chose to walk up the hills just before the five.
 I got into my car-well not quite. I saw my World War One book perched still on my windshield where I had left it. My I have had a good day.
   I did not know it, but a black and white followed my disabled plates up to the right turn that I normally make, but waited today. (Not edited)
   I
 
R
 
t
 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment