Saturday, January 4, 2014

A Visit to My Dentist

   He stuck a needle in twice, and with the needle inside the gum massaged it. Hurry up and get that dam needle out!  Dr. Melendez ran to another dental booth next to mine.  I continued to read my book about War in the Pacific. The Japanese had picked up survivors from a destroyer and clubbed and sliced their heads off.
   I heard a drill in the next room. My heart raced and skipped a beat. I heard it go thump, thump,  thump. . Dr. Melendez  entered and muttered something about a complication. Could he get to the root of the problem. He dug in with his pitchfork-at least it felt like one. My right leg kicked. Was it a Sting Ray that bit me? Then I heard him say, "The tooth is now out."
   
   My New Years resolution was not to get in my  way. My first goals was to make my take care of the few remaining teeth left. Next would be a crown and then bridge. I wished to look like a somebody, and not a dead beat. Besides, my Mom Edith always told me,"Look at her teeth before you marry her!"
    Today I needed to drive to Oceanside to visit with Bright Now! Dental. I left the Encinitas Senior Center at about one thirty. My appointment was set for two thirty. I took the Five to the Escondido freeway and got off at College. There I swung a left and drove about three miles to the Oceanside office.
  
   In no way did I feel like celebrating. I felt dead to the world. A bone graft was placed inside my mouth. With the bleeding stopped, I paid my $150 deductible and thanked Dr. Melendez.
   My next stop was the Carlsbad Library off of the Five freeway. I needed to do computer work before going to the Tip Top for some Lentle soup. My mouth did not bother me. It felt great to say good-by to number 32.
   I parked my car at the Encinitas Station to wait for the 5:20 afternoon Coaster from Oceanside. It was late. When it did arrive, Conductor Mr. Smarts  told us about the delay. "Some kid ran after his dog. No longer does he need to worry about his pet."

2 comments:

  1. Your heart will really skip a bit upon hearing a drill from the next room. But in my opinion, it’s normal to hear those kinds of sounds at the dental office. It’s always a part of our experience. Anyway, you have a great resolution. It’s really important to take care of our teeth, to make sure it will always be in good shape. And to avoid different mouth-related diseases as well.

    Kent @ DenturesDoneRight.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least everything has been dealt with already. Though, like you've said, you still have a lot of work to do, having that problem tooth extracted is a great start. I say that it was well worth what you paid for it because it wouldn't be a bother anymore. Anyway, I hope you're well on your way to achieving all of your New Year's resolutions. All the best!

    Elfrieda Sevigny @ Simmonds Dental Center

    ReplyDelete