Saturday, October 5, 2013

The New City Library

  
   The San Diego Padres may not have hit many home runs, but the new City Library looks like a city within a city. San Diego has given its denizens a shot in the arm.
   Yesterday the 2nd of October, I drove my warn out legs to the bus stop on Union and Broadway. It was going on three o'clock. I had enough spring in my legs to sit at the bus stop and wait for the number 901 to arrive.
   A homeless young man sat with me and ushered a conversation. To my rescue came my bus. I was the only passenger on the bus. He took Broadway to Tenth Avenue after picking up a few strays. I popped out a block after Market Street and walked left towards Eleventh. On the corner was a large map of the Harbor as it was in 1915.
  "You know that the mother of Ted Williams worked  the Salvation Army? Do you see those railroad tracks? That was where baseballs caromed off the cars into the street. There is Pacific and D Street as it was called then."
   I thanked the man for his baseball lesson but I needed my legs to get acquainted with the new library floors . I had watched the large bell tower being built for over two years. I walked into what seemed like a beehive of all types of people.
   People were lined up for tours and other lines had formed for library cards. I was told to take the escalator to the second floor. The table computers were on the second and third floors. I spoke to the reference desk clerk.
  "Ho many hours can you get for the day?" She told me "only one", and that did not sit well with me. Everywhere I walked the Coronado Bridge winked at me while the sun began to set. I went to the open stacked periodicals and spent the time reading an old Nation magazine. Its pages were falling off.
   There were individual study areas and other treats which I will examine later. I know I wild wilt my mind there the last days of my life.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment