Wednesday, October 30, 2013

I felt like a King on Amtrak 8:19



   I needed a break from the 6:30 early Coaster train out of the Santa Fe Station in San Diego.
I remembered that the new Amtrak schedule had a eight and ten o'clock out of Santa Fe Station. My Coaster monthly pass now was wedded to some Amtrak trains out of San Diego.
   Now I love riding the rails with my Coaster pass, yet their cars don't strut as soft as Amtrak train's.   the way Amtrak ones do.And besides, the seats are cushioned, a night light is above you, and there are also curtains to remove the sun's glare.
   Back at the "Y" in Downtown San Diego, I took my leisurely long hot shower, shaved, and returned to my cell. I turned off the T.V. and turned on my transistor to 14.9. I am a fan of classical music and thrill when a Strauss waltz is played.

   I left at about eight o'clock, crossed C Street and Kettner Blvd. and entered Amtrak Station. At about eight fifteen the speaker system announced, "First call for Amtrak to Los Angeles..." I followed the others and took a bottom coach seat on the train.
   It took me a few seconds to sit since an inexperienced patron was unaware luggage must be stored in a luggage rack in the back. I sat and began reading the finished manuscript of my football story. A large man came by looking for a seat.
   "I don't know if you can fit in since I am tall too."
   "I certainly appreciate it...Is dis train going to Los Angeles."
   I peeked at his ticket and confirmed his destination.
   "Dis is first time to ride dis train. My friend will pick me up when get to Los Angeles. In Tennessee I am a building contractor."
    Percy's cell phone rang, and kept on ringing.

   I moved to an empty coach seat to read in piece. Four of the passengers spoke Spanish, probably from across the boarder in Mexico. I loved the quiet ride. The train ran smoothly and almost put me to sleep. I pulled down the curtains to remove the sun's reflection. There was a smell of perfume on the train.
   An Asian lady boarded at the Sorrento stop. I told her the train did go to Irvine. Two more boarded at the Solana Beach Station. The next stop was mine, and at least for half an hour, I felt like a king on Amtrak 8:19. 

No comments:

Post a Comment