Monday, October 7, 2013

Cheapest Train Ticket to L.A. and back!!!

  I could not believe it! I left the Carlsbad  Library at 6:45 and drove to the Encinita's Commuter Station. I parked my car and walked to the boarding area. I waited for the 7:19 Amtrak train to arrive. 
   It not only arrived, but a long seat on the first level was vacant. The conductor did not check my Coaster monthly pass. The train did stop at each Coaster station. No longer would I need to worry about getting on the last Coaster train to San Diego. Now I had more options. I could have taken the nine o'clock or twelve train into San Diego...To my amazement, there was even a nine o'clock train that returned north to the same stations.  
  
 I can do San Diego to L.A., and back, for only ten dollars. Of course that is a lots of travel for one day. You must have a Coaster train daily pass or monthly pass to make it work.  
  I have been a Coaster traveler for more than three years. It was, and still is the best buy in San Diego. It has cost me 41.25 a month to ride buses, trolley's, and the Coaster trains. All I need to do is simply tap my Compass card on a machine, away we go. It beats trying to drive into San Diego, and if you don't believe me just try it. 
   My best writing is occurs on a train ride. Each day exhibit a different Picasso painting. I can read, day dream, or write my book. When exhausted, I can get some shut eye, and get to my destination safely and well rested.  
   God has given me two legs to walk, two eyes to witness his creation, and two ears to listen to the over 400 different types of fowl. I can wash in a clean bathroom, and even get a glass of water. One of of my rare dates, I even shared a bottle of Gallo wine with a girl friend, even though I am still a tea teetotaler  
   
  This past Thursday morning, I shelled out thirty one dollars to go all the way to L.A. to see my baby grand daughter for the first time. I arrived in L.A. at nine o'clock and paid a quarter to take a Dash bus to the 720 red bus to West Los Angeles. 
   With some extra walking, I met up with my two daughters at Roxbury Park and held Baby Allison for my first time. What a thrill!!

  Since it was Sunday, it cost me ten dollars to return to San Diego. There was only one hitch. Amtrak did not warn me about rail work on the Metrolink line. On  a large Union Station screen, ominous word stared down at me. The Metro-Link would go only as far a  Laguna Niguel
   I waited for fifteen minutes to buy my ten dollar ticket on the two o'clock. I hoped a bus could take me to Oceanside where I could feel safe with my Compass card.  
   "For those going further south, you might be able to get on a bus." With other disgruntled and betrayed passengers, I dismonted and found a friendly Amtrak official. She put us on their bus and its driver let Metro-Link have it. 
   "You are lucky that we saved you. Metrolink would have let you stranded. They didn't care."  

   Yet the good new is you can ride Amtrak trains 567, 573, 595,784,790/1790 or 796 by simply displaying your Coaster ticket. It means that North County patrons can leave for San Diego later at night...Of course Amtrak customers can do the same. 

   I have saved money, used my time effectively and lowered my blood pressure. I go to the Ralph's on Kettner to monitor it and after three years it is 115/70. Three years ago it registered 160/110. Of course I carry a back pack everywhere I go. I have given up coffee and cut down on my salt and sugar. 
   Have a nice trip. 

   A few helpful hints to make your ride on the Coaster as smooth as your silk. Pack a bottle of wine or beer on your next trip. Take a few sandwiches also along with cheese. Drinking is aloud, but not after nine o'clock p.m. Make a few sandwiches some wine, cheese and a sandwich on your next trip. 
   The bathroom closet at the foot of the lower level car is a nice feature. If the outside bathroom light is on, it is occupied. It is  roomier than the Amtrak one. 
   Radios or conversations are not allowed. Yet seldom are the rules obeyed. Move to a further seat if available. And by all means, keep your feet off of the seats. 
   Delightfully, each Coaster car is air-conditioned. On red flag alert days in San Diego, I often stay on the train to unclog my bronchial tubes. San Diego's high humidity and pollen counts can cause a quick trip to the emergency room. 

   Another tip is to wear a watch always. You can catch the special later Amtrak trains when you wish to dance the night away in Carlsbad or Encinitas. The Compass everything pass gives you lots of choices. There is one exception. The last train out of San Diego's Santa Fe Station leaves no later than nine o'clock now.

   Got to go now. I need to pick up my car. Express Tire on Midway in the Old Town area is to give it a wheel Alignment. Need to drive, this time, to see my blind brother Mel in Huntington Beach. BYYY 

  


 
 Y

No comments:

Post a Comment