Monday, April 1, 2013

Old Town

Yesterday on Easter Sunday, I found my Easter Egg at Old Town, San Diego. Earlier in the day, I felt alone and depressed. I thought about taking dancing lessons in Pacific Beach, but decided to take a contrary action.

The Green Line Trolly stopped at the Old Town Transit Center. I garage my car there for free. It is too much of a hastle to find a parking spot downtown. Also, you need to drive onto the freeway to your destination. You also need money to park your car so you won't be bludgened by ticket.

I left the train about three o'clock and walked to the town laid waste by a fire in the late eighteen hundred's. With too much Starbuck's coffee in my system, I needed to sit and relax. Some mariachi music came from a rectangular center of stores. On the platform were three musicians. The singer wore a bandana on his head and plucked a mean violin. It was up tempo, exactly what I needed today.

Those in the audience sang along with him. My throat became dry and parched. I felt an overwhelming need for water, and a nearby restaurant's smell enticed me to sit there.

"Miss, I will take the tamale and enchilada meal. Please bring me a large cold glass of water." She returned a few minutes later with the water and a bowl of chips with salsa and some other sauce. I drank the entire glass of water and got a refill. A young boy server returned with my hot plate. I had alreay filled myself with the chips but managed to eat most of my Mexican meal.

I forgot my troubles and had enough time to hear more music and visit the stores. One made olive oil; Another sold cards; still another sold jewelery and another cards and books...There were more stores to see but my mood now had changed.

Old Town is a good spot to park your car. The many buses and trolly can take you just about anywhere. You can go to the seashores of Mission, Pacific, or La Jolla to name of few. You might wish to take the Coaster train to Del Mar, the Serrento Valley or Oceanside...My favorite is to take the Mission hotel bus which circles Hotel Circle and eat over the San Diego River.

The CD's are just 15 dollars and you'll love to watch your kids do the chicken dance or the Mexican Hat Dance.

No comments:

Post a Comment