Friday, April 19, 2013

Encinitas Senior Center

The super bowl of billiards is held at the Encinitas Senior Center every three months. The big event brought the most agile fiftiesh hands from all over the North County.
"Pam, I noticed you are calling out for a pizza. Can I give you money for those in the computer room? 'No! It is only for the pool room!"
  Marvin stole some pizzas from the billiard room, and Pam called the Encinitas police.
"Hey, I thought the pizzas were for everyone. And besides, I am disabled ever since a Mexican truck driver ran over my wife in Tiajuana, Mexico. I l was in a coma for three months and have an irregular brain."
  "Well don't let it happen again!"

   The Senior Center houses more than a billiard tables. A Yamaha piano sits in the corner. My mind filters songs from the  50's and even more. Why even Simon asked "Who the concert  player is?"
   A couple of days ago, I met Bob who had been the orchestra manager of the New York Philharmonic rmonic Orchestra. He had studied piano since the age of three and knew Leonard Bernstein. His wife will soon be proving me with Piano lessons. I wish to become another Mozart before I trade my soul to the company store. 
   The Center even fine tunes the piano for me. Any music I can hum I can play by ear, and did God provide big ones for my large big nosed head.   I over one thousand tunes on it In the corner is a  I use the fine tuned piano to plant some 30's and 40 tunes in my head.
  There is also a lunch for the seniors in another room and art, dance, bingo, bridge on different days.  I have even played Pickle Ball but quit when and old wind bag screamed, "It was my ball! 
   Wait just a minute. I returned with Round Table pizza for Marvin and the gang. The twenty sausage and peperoni slices were finished in a few minutes.
  The Encinitas Senior sits on a hill with a view of  the Ocean. You can see parts of the Southbay from  most of the outside concrete benches outside.  Today is a Red Flag warning: The winds are up and with it the seasonal pollen. The cool air-conditioned building is just what my doctor Dudley ordered for me.
 The Senior Center offeres free lunches for those over 62, but you can always donate a few bucks into the kitty. Besides Thursday bridge, there is stamp club and even a big dance once a month on Friday. The average age is a bit over eighty years, so bring dark sun glasses so you won't get over exposed to aging.
  We must not forget ping pong.
   No matter what my mood, I leave relaxed and laughing. My computer tutor has also helped me with my own blog and hope to be a billionaire one day. Oh yes, it offers free coffee and once a month there is the senior center dance. I hear Benny Goodman is leaving heaven for another performance.
  It is only five dollars and its includes food and drink. There is always a back up ambulance in case someone breaks their legs or forgets their name.

  "Printer number four is printing now!!!!" A red headed lady stands up and runs to the printer to get her copy. Each follows new rules sent down by the downtown Encinitas City Counsel.
  We are now in the updated Computer Room. The Parks and Recreation supervisor made new rules. We need to go to the office each time we print. Also, we can't uses more than twenty pages.
   "Why isn't the computer working!" He did not know the computer does not work without paper.
   You can't use vulgar language, laugh too hard, smoke, drink or take ectacy, or even get married in the room. No eating, drinking, or socializing is desired or suspension follows.

No comments:

Post a Comment