Monday, April 15, 2013

The San Diego Harbor Marina

   Every other weekend, I take the Green Line Trolley to the  Old Town covered garage.  My little Cavalier is sometimes garaged there. Parking  is free, and I don't need to move it for 24 hours. It is also safe. from there I can take any one of three buses to several beach cities like Pacific, Ocean or Mission Beach. Old Town is a major transit center. There are no bathroom facilities so come prepared. San Diego is a city with no restrooms--or almost none. 
    After a breakfast at Perry's on Rosecrans and Pacific, I drive two miles south on Pacific until it links up with Laurel. There is a gas station to your left. Make a right onto Laurel till it becomes Harbor Drive and the airport area.  I keep to the far left lane and make my left turn onto Harbor Island. I swerve around the hotel keeping to my right till it feeds into the Marina Parking lot. During the week, it is free parking up until ten o'clock. A Deli sign tells the driver when to make a right into the lot. To the right are spots owned by boat owners. You will see a fountain with a seal when you enter. 
   For a bathroom break, there is a restroom key at the deli. They serve good breakfasts and are open till six o'clock. On the weekend, they barbecue hamburgers for about seven and change. You can talk to Livingston, a seagull who hangs out on the patio. The view of the harbor, airport and San Diego is breathtaking.
   The first time I met Livingston it was poking its bill into a Smucker's jelly package.  It's bill acted like a straw in removing the sweetness from the package. Little sparrows joined in and fed the floor crumbs. You can enjoy a three dollar ice cream cone and watch the planes take off from Lindbergh Field. Tell them you own a boat and one scoop is two seventy.
   You can walk to the big Sheraton Hotel to the east and have a drink and watch a football game on T.V. There is a Starbucks and cool clean air to give your singed lungs a break on bad ozone days. there are many conventioneers usually present and a large warm pool with a ping pong table for exercise. It is a family hotel.
  Off season prices begin at one hundred and fifty dollars a day. It changes with the day, season and availability. On your way back to your car, you may wish a breathtaking view of North Island and its Navy Field. Hidden is Coronado Bay. A sea coast view of the San Diego buildings is to your right.
   Two fisherman had their hooks in the harbor. One pole looked bent and a Chinese fisherman hooked onto something. He asked for his buddy for help.  help him. I came over to see the catch. It was big. After a few contested tries, the net brought up a Halibut, a lot larger than I expected. The little Chinese displayed a few teeth while his face grinned from ear to ear. They measured the fish and told me in broken English it measured twenty one inches.
   For another Harbor Day, you don't need your car. Keep it tucked away at Old Town on Taylor and Pacific.No longer tired, I head back to the Old Town Garage and parked my car. I just missed Greeny going back to downtown but got on the next trolley. I wished to end my day at Old Town since it made an Old Man feel young. .

No comments:

Post a Comment