Friday, April 12, 2013

San Diego Weather

 
   Today is the 25th of September. The overhead clouds brought the downtown temperatures down a bit. yet we have another gust of Santa Ana's due this weekend. Remember when the heat hits the dirty air particles, ozone is the product. Lower the temperatures and lower the ozone.  Los Angeles does not hold a monopoly on the famous Santa Ana winds. The off ocean breezes make allergy sufferers run to their medicine cabinet.  Wednesday morning of the tenth of April a gusty wind greeted me. I forgot to place my mask over my nose.  Like a dirty car air filter, my motor shut off. I spent the day in bed. This is how the weather story began.
  We had an unusual cold winter in San Diego this year of 2013. At the 'Y' in San Diego, the wall furnace didn't work. I carried a portable one to my room. I kept it on low most nights. The YMCA probably wanted to save money.
  Most of the oldest hotels don't offer air conditioning, even with Global warning. This year alone, we've had a part of New Jersey go down in a horrific hurricane, a thousand year flood in Boulder, Colorado, and a Yosemite fire in California that a powerful sneeze couldn't put it out.   he state of New Jersey getting so wet, it had to
  San Diego has the seventh worst air quality in the United States, and the pollen count bumps up breathing problems for those with allergies.  Cars, trucks, and buses belch their dirt into my room. The many tall downtown buildings restrict  air flow. Furthermore, planes fly over head  at night sending a dose of more Black Death over me. We can always change our cars air filter, but God has given us only one, bronchial tube to filter the air we breathe. Now at 74, they can't operate in fowl air. .

 The San Diego City Fathers replaced electric street cars with buses. How could we say no to the big money of Goodyear Tires or the many oil companies. Black Death filters into our hotel rooms and we wake up with a clogged nose and congested bronchial tubes. I am in luck when a westerly wind blows off of the Harbor. The heavier the wind, the better for allergies and I can think again.
   I asked a visiting student from Shanghai what he enjoyed the most about the city of San Diego. We met at the Santa Fe Train Depot a couple weeks back in August.
   " I love the weather, people, and what is the name of that?
   "That is a Palm Tree."
   "My they are lovely. I am now going on Amtrak for Los Angeles. I wish to see Dodger Stadium and then go to Santa Monica. I have four days left on my vacation.
   He left for Los Angeles on Amtrak.

   One year ago in October, San Diego had several hot days. My YMCA room registered over eighty degrees at night. I needed to stay at Lindbergh Field two nights and used my puffer too much. I also drove to the Harbor Sheraton Hotel for air. On hot days, lines form at Starbucks for colder energy drinks. The patrons don't understand that is is only a quick fix. The buses trains and trolleys are air conditioned. Many of the homeless stay on buses or trolleys all day and until ten at night to keep cool during Red Flag Alert days. The morning weather report tells me what to wear.
   My hotel manager refused to place a air conditioner outside my window. I am sure he felt scared the YMCA owners would get wind of it and fire him. The air has no where to run to. When my pockets become full, I will stay at a hotel with Central Air Conditioning.
  The air filter I bought from Target helps filter out Black Death. But I must change the filter every three months or give it a long bath. The winter temperatures can plummet after five in winter. It is wise to have a sweater or coat handy.

   I just returned from Los Angeles by car. I took my daughter to Costco, and parked my little Cavalier in her spot. The number 7 Big Blue Bus deposited me at the beach. I said "hello" to my buddies and noticed after one hour, the heavenly westerly dry winds gave my bronchial tubes to kick out Black Death. Now with breathing clean air, I could think and enjoy the day visiting my blind brother in Huntington Beach.  I am going to play two man volleyball again, not in San Diego, but Santa Monica where the winds, dry sand and pick up games will boot my life up a notch.
  Black Death eventually causes our immune system to bog down. Car engines need a replacement air and oil filter to run. Our hearts are the engines of life. When the heart engine needs to push harder, we place ourselves in danger of a heart attack or stroke. Just that one day in Santa Monica filtered out Black Death.
 
   I have just survived the September Monsoon season in San Diego. The Monsoons put a blanket on our ability to breathe. The poured heavy rain on Los Vegas and later another storm dropped 14 inches on Boulder Colorado. The tropical moisture comes from Africa, down across Mexico and says hello to San Diego.
   The Balboa Centennial Exposition is still two years away. It is hoped all hotels in San Diego will treat Black Death with window air conditioners  


No comments:

Post a Comment